Top Cloth - Hessian / Burlap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooBee...

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2+ nucs
Came across this
http://www.dheaf.plus.com/warrebeekeeping/preparing_hessian.htm

I had assumed one just added a sheet of Burlap cloth (I thought Muslin cloth would be just as good, as I think I've seen it used by other beekeepers), the kind of stuff farmers used to have for their sacks of potatoes: But apparently according to the above website you are supposed to treat it in some way, sounds sensible as the treatment will make it more rigid and easier to work with on days when there is a bit of wind.

Does anyone else use a cloth over the top of their frames? I know that those that use a Warre hive probably will, but I mean do any of us here use it, but don't use a Warre?

If so why? Is it easier for inspections, as you can role it back without exposing all the hive at once, or does it come off easier than a Crown Board that's been glued on!

Used a cover a couple of times another thing left in the back of the shed as its too much hassle.I find when I take the first frame out laying it on the top of the brood box just as good.

Used a cover a couple of times another thing left in the back of the shed as its too much hassle.I find when I take the first frame out laying it on the top of the brood box just as good.

That's what I do too

Only time I really use a cover cloth is inspecting double brood. I remove roof, turn upside down remove CB place at side, supers onto CB, top BB onto roof cover and inspect bottom BB. Cloth over bottom BB inspect top BB replace & put all back together.

mmm, never seen anyone place the outer frame over the top of the other frames, didn't know you could do that!

This is also what I was thinking of,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhGoUTGDOgw
at 52 seconds you can clearly see the use of a cloth sheet over the top of the frames, either instead of a Crown Board or below it.

Also here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf2R5xUVRu4
at 48 seconds you can very clearly see a cloth being used, this is not to aid in ventilation like in a Warre, but it does seem to be collecting Propolis and aiding in lifting the upper box / lid off the brood area, I see that it goes all the way past the edges of the box.

I use plastic spacers which are useful as they keep the frame off the bees underneath, but I put the bottom of the frame on the outer edge of the hive and lay it flat towards the centre of the hive. When I get halfway across the hive I swap it for the other end. Really easy. I then put that frame back in the other end of the hive. If it is old. Can swap it for a new one. The following inspection I started from the same end as last time. God that sounds complicated but it really isn't!!
I have a proper inspection cloth as bought from thornes but I have never used it. It just sits in my bed room! It has cloth either side and a hole in the middle for removing the frames
After saying all that, that is for inspections only , the Hessian thing you refer to is meant to stay on top of the frames all the time I think

E

Only time I used a cloth was when I kept my vicious local bees. I made one especially long with a gap in the middle just over a frames width. That way I could lift out a frame through the gap, replace move gap to next frame. It was the only way I could stop the little buggers pouring out of the top of the hive at me.

I think you are all missing the point of the original post. Warre hives (as per David Heaf) use a hessian or burlap cloth (usually starched) as a crown board - I don't think he's talking about a cover cloth which some people use when inspecting the bees to keep them a bit calmer. I use one on my long hive as there are so many frames exposed horizontally - not sure it makes a lot of difference when you have calm bees and on a national footprint it just gets in the way if you are just running through a normal inspection.... someone will be along to say it's the best thing since sliced bread shortly I would think !

I'm mainly talking about keeping a piece of cloth on top of frames all year round, but my understanding is that 'one' of the advantages of a cloth, whether all year round or only at inspection time, is that you can keep the brood area mostly covered during inspection.

Here you can see another beekeeper keeping a cloth on top of their frames permanently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnjjULpVsDM
at 2:11 minutes.

I've seen one beekeeper, I can't find the video, place strips only over the wooden edges of the hive's boxes, he seemed to be able to lift the upper box easily, and then he removed the strips of cloth - as they would interfere with the inspection of the frames - the cloth strips were clearly sticking to the wood; I would imagine that their presence would decrease drafts, and reduce the need for propolis, any propolis that is placed by the bees wouldn't stick the boxes together as much as without the cloth strips.

Hi
I bought hessian from Thornes to use in the smoker, should I wash it before use?
What is the best way to use,in strips or rolled up.
Thanks in advance

Hi
I bought hessian from Thornes to use in the smoker, should I wash it before use?
Thanks in advance

Ditch it. Use newspaper to start with, then torn up egg trays or cartons (not the plastic ones) then stuff in some dry bark or rotten wood. Or pine cones if you have any. Doesn't go out, gives a nice cool smoke and lasts a long time.

Hi
Thanks in advance

I was working recently with a beekeeper that's a farmer and has old hessian sacks which he is using as smoker material, it looked quite dusty, I don't think he's washed it, the heat would kill any bacteria, as long as there are no chemicals (quality's bound to be good from Thornes) I don't think you would need to wash it.

What I saw was he just scrunched it up and lit it, rolling I think may not allow much air (oxygen) in to keep it smouldering.

Don't know what you paid, but maybe you might want to check out Amazon's prices for a roll of the stuff, over the years you'd probably go through a roll.

This Youtube video series was Linked to in another Post, just got around to looking at it and see that the beek is using two cloths for inspection, seems straight forward and very good. I'm going to try this myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn6gx-aiOX0&feature=related

I'm guessing I shouldn't start faffing about with soaking it in a mild dilution of Clove Oil, etc.?

Do you rinse off your hive tool between colonies, for bio-security stuff? If so, do you have a separate cloth for each hive?

Do you rinse off your hive tool between colonies, for bio-security stuff? If so, do you have a separate cloth for each hive?

I see what you mean.

The cloth, although for a short time, would be in very close contact with the brood area could pick up and therefore transfer disease between hives; so could the hive tool, but that's easily cleaned with a 'disposable wipe'.

So if a cloth in this manner was going to be used, then it would be best for the cloth to be permanently on top of the hive's frames. Food for thought, thanks for that.

I made an inspection cloth out of old tea towels and aluminium tubing, just like the ones you can buy. Too much faffing about, never use it. That's what the smoker is for. Keep plenty of spare cover boards ( no holes) and use those on top of any boxes I might stack by the side.

Latest posts

Back