First warre, upgrade to crown board and quilt.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charentejohn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
Just replacing a lost colony which was not in an actual hive just an old bird roosing box. Had them 5 years and a long story but now replacing them.

So I am now starting with a Warre to keep the bees lightly managed, I won't be taking honey but will keep an eye out for problems. Just done a basic beekeeping course and setting up a new warre hive.
I am using two boxes and wired foundation frames, happykeeper vented floor.
These were all bought in but I am going to make the roof and quilt.
So...
Does it seem reasonable to upgrade this a bit based on allowing the bees to propylise the crown board (normally just cloth) if they want to. I am sure Abbe Warre would have used mesh if he had some ? Smile

For the crown board basically a sheet of 3mm oak ply, which I have. Drilled with 8 large holes about 7-8cm diameter and a smaller one in the middle if feeding ever required (probably not). This covered with fine aluminium mesh, so there will be usual bee space above the frames + 3mm into some of the holes so risk of comb building ? I could also put a 10mm wooden border to give a slight gap above the mesh.
I could put it mesh side down, the ply acting as a support.

For the quilt box I liked the idea I saw using just the quilt box with filling in a sack.

In my case I would use some 13mm square mesh sheet I have rather than fine mesh as that is on the crown board.
I then use the sack of shavings etc idea as it could be easily swapped out in seconds, if I had two. I am in france and pillow cases (cotton) are square and will fit in the quilt box nicely.

I will end up with a mostly open crown board and a 10mm gap to the quilt. All else as normal.

Any thoughts, especially warnings, appreciated. Seems ok as should provide air flow like the original.

Warres thinking was that the crown board and roof should be breathable, and hence he used cloth, both for his crown board and the bottom of his quilt box. He did not want to encourage a draft ("ventilation") in from the entrance and out through the roof, which your design might increase the risk of. However I am sure your ideas will work, but not necessarily to the bees advantage. I do run an originally designed Warre and the bees seem to thrive.

Thanks for the reply. I do think I could use hessian (burlap / Jute) to cover the top of the hive box. Basically a sheet of ply, I have some oak ply which is very soild, with large holes drilled in. Then a sheet of hessian stapled to the underside, this then placed on top.
So ventilation through the hessian where the holes are. Just would not be lying on the frames, about 7mm above them.

Then the quilt box, using mesh to support the hesian, on that as sort of normal.

I have read that the quilt just stores the excess humidity above the bees so preventing condensation in the hive.

Air flow should be as standard, through the hessian to the shavings. I know if it ain't broke don't try to fix it, but maybe just a bit of tidying up ? :)

Your board would cut down the " breathability" of the cover cloth, which was part of Warres thinking in the design, but if that is what you want to do, I am sure the bees will live with it. Enjoy your bees. There have been many adaptations to Warres original design since his time anyway

Reasonable observation on reduced flow but I think I will try it, just tidier than cloth draped on the frames. I am guessing the main idea is to allow air above the cluster / frames rather than a solid crown board so this should do that.
The roof effectively closes the top of the hive above the quilt so allowing some warm space at the top. Clever idea, I know someone experimenting using the quilt on dadant hives, so far with success.

I haven't been here long enough to post links but a search for 'Quilt box design mod for the Warré hives' should find it. He puts the quilt box direct onto the top box, I think I will have a hessian'd crown board as well.

Reasonable observation on reduced flow but I think I will try it, just tidier than cloth draped on the frames. I am guessing the main idea is to allow air above the cluster / frames rather than a solid crown board so this should do that.
The roof effectively closes the top of the hive above the quilt so allowing some warm space at the top. Clever idea, I know someone experimenting using the quilt on dadant hives, so far with success.

I haven't been here long enough to post links but a search for 'Quilt box design mod for the Warré hives' should find it. He puts the quilt box direct onto the top box, I think I will have a hessian'd crown board as well.
I have Warres and just have a plastic mesh between the top box and quilt. When the bees have deposited enough propylis I just freeze it and shake it off. This keeps the cloth on the bottom of the quilt box clean.

I have Warres and just have a plastic mesh between the top box and quilt. When the bees have deposited enough propylis I just freeze it and shake it off. This keeps the cloth on the bottom of the quilt box clean.

Thanks that's a good idea I've started with a few warres this spring and I wondered about putting some mesh bellow the quilt good idea .

Latest posts

Back