Bee Spaces

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb2603

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have had to make up a floor, crown board and roof at short notice for a standard national brood box.

I have the floor installed already and the bees are happily coming in and out. The brood box is bottom bee space. Currently, I just have a piece of greenhouse plastic acting as a crown board and a thick piece of kingspan acting as the roof.

I have a roof made up so all good there, I’m just thinking of the crown board, I have some 10mm thick timber which I could put some 6mm polycarbonate sheeting on which would give me a clear crownboard but then I would have a 10mm top and bottom bee space. Will this create issues for me in terms of burr comb or propolis?

Thanks as always.

Mark

Having a top and bottom bee space in itself on a single brood is not an issue but 10mm top is maybe a bit too much and they may build brace comb there. It should be about 8mm to be on the safe side. Your future supers will I take it be bottom bee space?

Latest posts

Back