Bees massing in the eke?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Lang

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Only one
So I went to check hives...to check the fondant levels.....I have an eke on each of my hives above the Crown board then fondant accessible by coming up from underneath the Crown board (if you follow)
One of my hives has bees massing and gathering in the eke....when I went to check the fondant level the eke was thick with bees......not had this before?

Has anyone come across this before???
Should I smoke them...force them back down onto the frames.....block the second hole in the crown to stop them piling up into the eke??

Ta

Do you have the fondant over one crownboard hole , whilst the other hole is wide open??

Do you have the fondant over one crownboard hole , whilst the other hole is wide open??
That's what it sounds like.
If so brush/smoke/shake the bees below the crown board, block any hole other than the one they access the fondant through. Cover the fondant if it isn't already. Add insulation over the top of the fondant.

The bees can often chew their way through fondant wrapped in plastic. I now use these takeaway containers with insulation.

Attachments

• nucs 2FD fondant sugar bricks.jpeg
    nucs 2FD fondant sugar bricks.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2699.jpeg
    IMG_2699.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2703.jpeg
    IMG_2703.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Thank you for the replies

Yes ....fondant over the one crown board hole ... they're coming up through the other.......will do as you suggest....smoke em down and cover it......not had a hive do that before 🤷
Thanks 🙏🙏🙏

fondant over the one crown board hole ... they're coming up through the other
Begs the question: to what purpose was the crownboard hole open?

Has anyone come across this before?
Yes; bear in mind that bees are infinitely variable and will do as they please. :)

I've used the tubs before but find dead bees, either in collapsed bits of fondant or drowned in sticky stuff. Tried putting objects in to help them pull themselves out. Just a mess. Possibly compounded by excess humidity as I used to leave the inspection boards in, not now on forum advice.
This year I have opted to lay full super frames crossways across the top bars, then a little space then 2" kingspan. We'll see. Checking in 2 weeks weather permitting.

I'm using old poor supers with kingspan rammed in tight. But moveable, so it can be right on top of the CB, or shifted up a few inches for the above.

I've used the tubs before but find dead bees, either in collapsed bits of fondant or drowned in sticky stuff. Tried putting objects in to help them pull themselves out. Just a mess. Possibly compounded by excess humidity as I used to leave the inspection boards in, not now on forum advice.
This year I have opted to lay full super frames crossways across the top bars, then a little space then 2" kingspan. We'll see. Checking in 2 weeks weather permitting.

I'm using old poor supers with kingspan rammed in tight. But moveable, so it can be right on top of the CB, or shifted up a few inches for the above.
Bees are dying all the time. Finding them in the fondant tub is no different from finding them on the OMF.

Because people are still taught that is what they should do for ventilation
Who teaches this stuff? how does that offer ventilation with a roof stuck on.

I reckon it makes zero difference, the roof seals the hive and I've not seen any issues leaving them open or closed (and mine are 80mm dia cut custom multi boards/feeders). As a rule, they are covered with ply plug or brick as the CB's are 70mm deep, but plenty are left open especially if bees removed the fondant.

Found a couple of stocks with no roof or CB back around the new year (after storms) had been like this for weeks. Both are doing fine and shows how robust they are.

Built some OSB hives last year (as a test), no insulation just board with a metal roof. Every hive looks new, all the bees are doing fine. it'll be interesting to see how they fared when opening them next month. All OM full OM floors.

how does that offer ventilation with a roof stuck on.
all standard National roofs come with two vents built into them, unless you fill the roof with PIR then yes, you have a chimney effect

Bar the first gabled roof hive I purchased, none of the standard wood roofs i've picked-up have those vents. Even so, with a metal covering the vent and the mesh it'll be trivial.

Leave the CB hole(s) open and let the bees fill the mesh if they don't like them (some will/some leave them be(e)).

Bar the first gabled roof hive I purchased, none of the standard wood roofs i've picked-up have those vents. Even so, with a metal covering the vent and the mesh it'll be trivial.

Leave the CB hole(s) open and let the bees fill the mesh if they don't like them (some will/some leave them be(e)).
that would be down to resource,weather,colony strength though, not because they want to leave them open.
Remove the batterns in the roof and the roof sits tight on the cb those roof vents are pointless.

that would be down to resource,weather,colony strength though, not because they want to leave them open.
Remove the batterns in the roof and the roof sits tight on the cb those roof vents are pointless.

I'd say it was down to genetic traits rather than environment. Some stocks weld everything together with propolis, some with wax! etc etc

Yeah those vents are odd and pointless indeed, tbf most of my hives are poly and the few wood units I purchased were cheap tests and guess the lack of vents to cut costs. My OSB tests are custom-made and copy a deep poly roof.

20230406_140553.jpg20230407_121404.jpg

Attachments

• 20230402_172543.jpg
    20230402_172543.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I'd say it was down to genetic traits rather than environment. Some stocks weld everything together with propolis, some with wax! etc etc

Yeah those vents are odd and pointless indeed, tbf most of my hives are poly and the few wood units I purchased were cheap tests and guess the lack of vents to cut costs. My OSB tests are custom-made and copy a deep poly roof.

View attachment 39018View attachment 39019
I don’t think it’s just genetics, nice boxes 🙂
Edit:I have bees with the same genetics at different sites and they vary with the amount of propolis they collect

Latest posts

Back