Crown board ventilation over winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizzie-drippin

New Bee
Reaction score
Dear All

Last year, a few of my colonies suffered from a mouldy crown board (on top and underneath) - the bees were all ok though - it didn't spread to the super I leave on for them.

So the question is how best to ventilate crown boards over winter?

1. Standard crown board: One escape has fondant over it and the other has a porter escape fitted, left open, or has an open mesh 'porter escape' fitted?
2. I used English feeders for syrup, the ones with just a round hole in the middle. Would you change this for a standard crown board for winter? Otherwise the fondant will cover the entire central hole and there will be no ventilation?

As always, thanks for the advice

LD

Dear All

Last year, a few of my colonies suffered from a mouldy crown board (on top and underneath) - the bees were all ok though - it didn't spread to the super I leave on for them.

1. Standard crown board: One escape has fondant over it and the other has a porter escape fitted, left open, or has an open mesh 'porter escape' fitted?
2. I used English feeders for syrup, the ones with just a round hole in the middle. Would you change this for a standard crown board for winter? Otherwise the fondant will cover the entire central hole and there will be no ventilation?

LD
The short answer is don’t ventilate above the crownboard, but insulate instead. There are numerous threads on here about the dangers of ventilation through and above the crownboard. To feed fondant use an eke, filled with PIR, or polystyrene, with a cut out to accommodate a container of fondant. The bees need the warmth retained, not a cool drought through the roof.

Dear All

LD
Have a read of this article theapiaristwinterchores.jpeg

few of my colonies suffered from a mouldy crown board (on top and underneath) - the bees were all ok though - it didn't spread to the super I leave on
Do you leave the super on top of the BB, Lizzie?

During the early part of winter bees will consume stores closest to the nest in the BB. As those deplete, the nest will move up slowly into the super.

Until the nest does move into the super, condensation may well result when warm & moist rising air hits an uninsulated CB far above the nest.

If you nadir the super no such risk will arise. Bees will move the stores around the nest, and the nest itself will then sit at the highest point of the hive, under the CB.

In conjunction with that set-up, follow the advice of Mr Poot & Murox and insulate, insulate, insulate that CB.

Mold... honey bees evolved to chew out the soft moldy wood inside a tree cavity. Condensation in the tree cavities is a fact. So honey bees deal with mold. Considering that even for humans nmold can constitute a source of protein it shows not all mold are equal or damnable . In fact there are probably more mold species than anything else. And not all condensation is cold.

Thanks for the advice.

I keep the super on top of the brood box and fondant over the super.

Normally I overwinter in polynucs but this year most of my colonies are in wood, since they were very strong going into winter. Hence my query about insulting the crown board.

I was considering the moisture/insulating board from bee-equipment, anyhow tried those? Otherwise I will have to try and locate some poly insulaton from somewhere.

My issues last year seemed to be moisture buildup up, hence my question about ventilation..

All the best

LD

You don't. You need to insulate not ventilate
Throw the Porter escapes in the bin and cover the hole with a piece of thin plywood, then 50mm celotex with a hole cut into it for the fondant tub

You don't. You need to insulate not ventilate

Throw the Porter escapes in the bin and cover the hole with a piece of thin plywood, then 50mm celotex with a hole cut into it for the fondant tub
Could I sit the board just on top of the fondant bag?

Also, I guess you buy the board and cut to size?

thanks a lot
LD

Could I sit the board just on top of the fondant bag?

Also, I guess you buy the board and cut to size?

thanks a lot
LD
you'll need an eke then to allow space over the top bars

Normally I overwinter in polynucs
Imagine a polynuc as a bungalow, and your setup of two boxes (and a vent to fondant?) a cathedral. The latter will make more work for bees to maintain nest temp & humidity.

insulting the crown board
Justified, if it's vented.

sit the board just on top
It must be in direct contact with the upper face of the CB; saw a piece to size and make sure it sits flat. First tape the CB holes closed from underneath (JBM's thin plywood would prevent constant contact of the insulation board and CB).

(JBM's thin plywood would prevent constant contact of the insulation board and CB)
nothing worth worrying about - all my feeder holes is covered this way and I never have any mould issues

Thanks for all the advice. What do people use for tubs for fondant? I've been using the standard bags that fondant comes in like Fondabee...
that's fine - just make a slash in the bag and place that over the feeder hole

Cut a rectangle out of the board ( keep it to put back when you’re not feeding ) Bag over crownboard feeder hole. Put insulation board round the bag
IMG_0560.jpeg

I cut 2.5KG bags into four for small nucs and seal cut edges with clingfilm/ quick and easy to apply.

Latest posts

Back