The Weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
still rubbish weather

its bitterly cold here today nr Chester, as for any flowers, dream on !

Dave W

Bees bringing in crocus pollen at 8C this pm.

-2C overnight and snowdrifts in garden still not fully gone..

Withering in Wigan :D
No bees flying today !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just noticed that the temperature next weekend in London is estimated to be 16-18*C don’t know why but suddenly started to feel a bit nervous.

Flying

Just noticed that the temperature next weekend in London is estimated to be 16-18*C don’t know why but suddenly started to feel a bit nervous.

Me too! SWARMS Galore I recon.
:calmdown:

The BBC tv 6 o'clock News report on today's Neonic report included footage of bees bringing in pollen in sunny Somerset today.

/ Looked very gentle bees, the reporter was happily squatting to watch at the hive entrance, and the beek seemingly not using smoke or veil ...

Reached 8c mid-afternoon in fitful sun - a few bees flying.

The advantage of a glazed crownboard is that I could see a turmoil of activity inside - ...........but nowhere near pre-swarm volume :)

A warm w/e would be nice!

-3C overnight. Sunny as I write .
Off to BBKA apiary.. past the snowdrifts = which were 1 meter tall when I last went (were 2 the week before).

Still snow drifts in our garden: unheard of for snow to last this long at this time of year..

The white borders round the fields are at least shrinking.

Both surviving hives busy in the sun today, though the car's gauge gave the temperature as only 5 degrees at 1pm. Orange pollen coming in by the leg load. Hopefully I'll only have lost one colony this winter. But it's too early to rest on my laurels.

Still frost on the ground in the shade at 9 am today - but lovely in the sun and the wind has finally died down - checked the thermometer in the apiary at midday and it was 21 degrees - 12 degrees for most of the day though.
Digging my mothers garden and saw a lovely black bee mooching around some discarded cut daffodils - wonder where she came from?. might have to have a scout around the woods behind her house: a late neighbour (who kept bees until he fell ill a few years ago) said there was a feral colony there somewhere.

Four colonies flying today. Sunny, 11C, with a cold NW wind.

All still have fondant and some pollen substitute, so even if they haven't any remaining stores they should be okay.

Fingers crossed for some permanently decent weather, and then the chaos will begin.

Bring it on!!:welcome:
I am sick of the dormancy... so boring- even spring cleaned every bit of all frames and the bee room ..:Angel_anim:

What a difference a bit of sunshine brings. Large amounts of pollen being taken in. First sting of the season but who cares.

Wall to wall sunshine and 15˚ at the apiary
Not much wind either
Got some of the meadow cut and patches dug over for wild flowers :)

Spend ages just watching them bring home the pollen. Decided to lean some slate up to the entrance holes as landing boards. Amazing amount of pollen coming in to one hive, I though I saw a wasp trying to gain entry but it was one of the bees covered in yellow pollen. I went to the shed and painted some recently made boxes ready for action

Bees all flying from five hives but NO pollen. Snow only just melted so got to give it a day or two!

Mid afternoon full sun and all colonies were piling out. All were taking in pollen and 3 out of 4 appeared to have bees doing practice flights but only 10c so didn't attempt an inspection.

I'm not philosophical but it gave me great joy to see the flying proof that they've all survived!

14 degs near the hives this afternoon. lots of bee activity single brood busier than the double brood. Did first inspection, reasonably pleased so far, just need more of this warmer weather

Latest posts

Back