The Weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only 9 degrees with us today and for a change the wind is blowing from the South - East. few bees out but not many Welsh blacks a bit busier than the rest bringing in pollen steadily

"What a difference a day makes ...". (with apologises to Dinah Washington)

Yesterday - wall-to-wall sunshine, and next to zero wind. The hives were flying properly for the first time this year - yellow and white pollen being brought in: small amounts per bee, but lots of bees bringing it back.

Today - overcast, and back to the easterlies - no flying.

A brief taste of summer - lovely while it lasted ...

LJ

And after a Winter of discontent... a Spring of discontent... a Summer of discontent... and that is JAPAN !

after a lovely warm spring afternoon yesterday and took the chance for my first inspection, today its back to chilly winds and a cold night. wish I had left them alone now.

As I drove over Hawksworth Moor at about 8.30 this morning, past Harvey and Sue Smith's stables (you southerners will have heard of it now, even if you can't place it on a map) there was a light snow falling. The drifts and piles of snow pushed aside by the snowploughs two weeks ago still cover the verges, not just on the moors but on the edge of Leeds too.

Wasn't this the week when it was going to warm up?

Wasn't this the week when it was going to warm up?

Originally they'd said the 11th, now it's been delayed to the 19th.
But I have read that it's supposed to be barbq weather at the weekend - doesn't mean it won't snow again after.

Chadderton Weather ‏@ChadWeather 30m
At 09:00:01

Temp 2.3'C
Feels like -2.5'C
Dew Pt 0.0'C
Max 2.3'C
Min 0.9'C
Wind 9.0mph ENE
Gust 23.0mph
Rain 0.0mm
Hum 85%

Doesn't sound like allotment weather, let alone bee weather.
Icy wind yesterday again after a warm weekend.

But I have read that it's supposed to be barbq weather at the weekend

Well, you need something to warm your hands on!

Doesn't sound like allotment weather,

Perfect gardening weather - just right for digging without getting all hot, sweaty and breathless - just going out now to sort out another patch of mine, then over mother's for her garden (if my back holds out that is :D)

Weather is going to change?

http://www.foreca.fi/United_Kingdom/London/tenday

Next sunday London 19C. Not bad!

Last night we had -25C in ´northern Finland. But weather is changing too here. High pressure centre is borning over the Central Europe.

I think your forecasters are ... cheerful.

I doubt that our weather will properly break before the weekend after next, staying wet and cool over most of Britain until at least then.
But the Finnish weather should be much milder at the start of next week than at present.

Dare I say....we need a bit of rain.
Three weeks of chilly drying wind and I've had to water some of the trees we planted earlier and all our outwintering pots.
My Asparagus is coming tomorrow so have to get out to the field, take the black plastic off the raised bed, dig that grit and compost in and make a couple of trenches.

Raining here too. :(

Our garden still hasn't dried out from last year's deluge.

I fished last evening on sea ice. There was 3 feet ice. Not a sign about fish.

Russian war prisoners teached ice fishing to Finnish 70 years ago.

7137_570.jpg

Last edited:
No sign of rain here. Most unusual.
As I drove down the M61 this morning the snow drifts at the side of the motorway looked like they have not melted much in past 3 weeks.

Had some rain here overnight....temperature was 10c and for the second day in a row, all the hives were flying normally bringing in yellow pollen -there's a lot of dandelion in flower.

I fished last evening on sea ice. There was 3 feet ice. Not a sign about fish.

Russian war prisoners teached ice fishing to Finnish 70 years ago.

7137_570.jpg

after 70 years with no fish i would have given up!

Just watched the BBC weather forecast. The nice man said it might make the "high teens" in the east this weekend.
I spy an inspection coming on. Fingers crossed.
Cazza

I'm hoping for Sunday

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

Back