The war, the bees, russia and the UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such as Poland and France in the last century, or Spain in the previous century (Pensinsular war)? But that is enough for this thread

Turkey (Ottoman Empire) against the Russians in 1854 Crimean War... Bosnia Herzegovina and lets not forget that GB entered the First Woorld War after germany invaded Belgium a nuetral country then whose neutrality had been guarnateed byt treaty after 1815...

"The British Army has never helped weak nations." was this tongue in cheek??

lets not forget... 'England' assisted Greek independence from Turkey in the 1820s, and Turkey (Ottoman Empire) against the Russians in 1854 Crimean War... Kuwait Gulf War 1, Bosnia Herzegovina and Kossovo and lets not forget that GB entered the First World War after Germany invaded Belgium a neutral country then whose neutrality had been guaranted by treaty after 1815... Napoleonic Wars... Germany complaining the British went to war over "a Scrap of paper"... show what they though of international treaties back then...

neutrailty is no guarantee of safety unless like Switzwerland and Austria you are surrounded by NATO countries ;)

. 'England' assisted Greek independence from Turkey in the 1820s, and Turkey (Ottoman Empire) against the Russians in 1854 Crimean War...

Yep. The British Navy came four times to Finland's coast 1854 and burned couple of towns on west coast. Then they came to Helsinki and bombed with cannons the fortress in front of town. Next they sailed to east and destroyed couple of fortresses in front of towns.

Finland was part of Russian empire up to 1917.

Britain, France and Turkey were together against Russia then.

Last edited:
Yep. The British Navy came four times to Finland's coast 1854 and burned couple of towns on west coast. Then they came to Helsinki and bombed with cannons the fortress in front of town. Next they sailed to east and destroyed couple of fortresses in front of towns.

Suomenlinna is a remarkable place.

We knew you were old Finnie but I didn't think you went that far back !

As for the British Navy ... we sent a gunboat to just about everywhere whenever we had the opportunity in those days. .... Brittania Rules the Waves .... but not any more,

Think I had something like it in the canteen there a few years ago.
I made a mistake in Gambia when I was working there, I was invited to my client's home for a meal .. the goat stew was edible, the maize bread (Polenta) accompanying it was great and then pudding arrived .... Ahhh - semolina - my favourite I thought as my host's wife loaded my bowl with a huge portion of .... ground and sweetened peanut pudding. I forced down every mouthful and then declared myself totally satisfied and unable to eat another morsel .... so she packed some up in a plastic container for me to take back to my hotel to supplement 'their awful food'.

That taught me a lesson ... look before you leap !

The following day I met with my Client for a final meeting and he told me that nobody had ever finished such a huge bowl of his wife's speciality pudding and confessed that he didn't like it much but he would ensure it was on the menu next time I visited them. Mind you ... the box of frozen Gambian King Prawns that arrived for me as I was boarding my plane home was very welcome ...

And yet, the Gallipoli / Dardanelles campaign in 1915 - 1916 aimed at taking Turkey out of the war and enabling Russia to have access to the seas for export and war support. Britain, France and Russia were in treaty together, not as you state.

Those were the days when you could bring home frozen prawns in your luggage 😂😂
The Stewardesses put them in their fridge for the duration of the flight ... I had a bit of explaining to do when I got to Heathrow but they let them pass ! Duty free bottles in the hand luggage was also the norm .... how times have changed !

The Stewardesses put them in their fridge for the duration of the flight ... I had a bit of explaining to do when I got to Heathrow but they let them pass ! Duty free bottles in the hand luggage was also the norm .... how times have changed !
My first husband was in the Heathrow Resident Press Corps. We used to get jars of Russian Caviar from flight crews. We used to eat it spooned on jacket potatoes.

My first husband was in the Heathrow Resident Press Corps. We used to get jars of Russian Caviar from flight crews. We used to eat it spooned on jacket potatoes.
Did you ever get to visit the Royal Suite at Heathrow ? ... My company resprayed and re-branded all the jettys at Heathrow (and most other UK airports) - we worked airside and I got to meet the resident press officers on a number of occasions .. On one visit I was taken to see the VIP suite as there were some refurbishments required and they needed a quote for the work.

No I never did though I remember there was a great restaurant overlooking one of the runways. We used to go there for Sunday lunch sometimes and watch the planes.
You may have crossed paths.

No I never did though I remember there was a great restaurant overlooking one of the runways. We used to go there for Sunday lunch sometimes and watch the planes.
You may have crossed paths.
Could well have done ... when HSBC took over sponsorship of the jetties the first one we sprayed was the Concorde stand and the Heathrow Press boys were all over it when we had finished.... I've got a photo of me stood beside the aircraft and in front of the HSBC branded jetty. I should have retired after that project ..

.concorde.jpg

Those were the days when you could bring home frozen prawns in your luggage 😂😂
I was very friendly with one of the Manx airlines ground hosties and she regularly arranged deliveries of Manx Kippers for me from H E Cubbons in Douglas, they were just dropped off airside and I would get a message from Manx saying there was a package for examination on the apron!!

Latest posts

Back