Temporary new members!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason the association assumes ownership is because they are the only recognised national body to offer to do so, but I am detecting a rather strong streak of "ours is ze only vay, you vill do ass you are told, you vill pay your dues to zer grosser good of the gods of Bayer und Syngenta, or you vill not haff ze bees - effryone outside zer association vill be shot!":rofl:

Must just put it down to natural loss.... shame.

Look upon it as those members may not have been worth keeping...

I think if my association (who provided my nuc.) did a membership check I would appear to be the same as those who have disappeared. There was no 'you must be a member' but i joined after taking possession of my nuc, in the hope of support.

As we all know none was forthcoming - so I won't be renewing; although I am sure that isn't the issue with yours. I can't imagine you ignoring a newbee and leaving them to 'go it alone'.

There is of course the chance the made friends with an experienced beek so feel membership is no longer necessary, have been made redundant so can't afford the fees, or simply feel thet have 'learnt what they need, so no longer need the association'. These may well come down with a bump next season and come running back! However, you will always get those who feel that they didn't get value for money so quit - either just the association or beeking altogether!

You seem to have done what you can both for the bees and their keepers...wish I lived closer!!

Last edited:
Our association now run a rent a hive scheme for new members. A dozen or so 'nuc's' are set up in an out apiary, are tended by the 'renter's' under supervision for a season. Later if they wish they can purchase 'their' bee's and transfer them to a full size hive away from the out apiary. This seems to have worked well for us. (and no we don't give out pots of honey!;))
Regards
TBRNoTB

you should also mention that the demand for the rent-a-hive is so high, last year they resorted to having a lottery. all names went into a hat and the first dozen pulled out were offered a hive.

swarm capture

The BBKA aren't the only swarm catchers.

The NBT also do so - I do however have visions of them leaving the swarm in-situ until the right phase of the lunar calendar and then gently coaxing them into a straw hat with the hem of a white lacy dress whilst 20 naked newbeek acolytes stand around chanting and hoping to get their hands on the bees

http://www.naturalbeekeepingtrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/0564.jpg

(of course they'll need to be DEMETER certified before they're allowed to get their hands on the bees!!!).

I would be very careful about trying to lock them in, maybe just introduce a reasonable charge for swarms to people in their first year? etc etc

I'm sorry to say this but sending someone round when they've not shown up for a few months seems a little Big Brother to me, I'd find that intrusive and it would encourage me to sever all ties faster than anything else.

I agree, it would definitely put me in guard mode.

Give the opportunity to purchase the nuc they've looked after during their basic course and make it cheap.

Some posts appear to be leaning toward a world controlled by BBKA with derogation to local organisations who are busy making rules. There are enough petty officials without adding further righteous concerned citizens to become 'advisors' and of course talk and tut tut about it to everyone else afterwards.

Quality time at association meetings is what's needed. Feed the beginner until he wants no more. Make them understand quickly, keep their attention and get them on side.

When walking into a room, it is off-putting (for those who don't laugh at human nature) that nobody makes a fuss of the new arrival.

Even bees check everybody out and say hello on the landing strip. bee-smillie

The reason the association assumes ownership is because they are the only recognised national body to offer to do so, but I am detecting a rather strong streak of "ours is ze only vay, you vill do ass you are told, you vill pay your dues to zer grosser good of the gods of Bayer und Syngenta, or you vill not haff ze bees - effryone outside zer association vill be shot!":rofl:
About as funny as a dose of clap !!
and as sensitive as as a Sherman tank!

John Wilkinson

What about the new members with a hive keep them in the association apiary or with a mentor until the second year,they should then be ready to take the basic exam and ready to take the hive home.

That way they will have to pay second year subs,that should half the loss of members in the second year.

Brosville; Think twice - Post once ;)

Well I believe there is no need need to join an association. As long as you have someone either to mentor you or someone you can call. There is a wealth of information both in books and on the internet. I did go to one meeting but the average age was 60, and it was just not my cup of tea. I'm going through my first winter and have never even had another bee keeper look at my bee's. They are doing so well i now have two hives, 2 mated queens and loads of stores for winter. If i'm unsure about something I either ask a question on here with photos. Or give the person i got the bees from a call or the man i brought the hive from. Both will give me two different answers and a make my own mind up.... who need people poking there noses in anyway ?

Look upon it as those members may not have been worth keeping...

OR that you have failed miserably to bring about good beekeeping practices, something easily done, in people who have presented themselves to you for education in precisely that.

Friar Tuck sums it up well!

Last edited:
If my bees had to live on an association site? They wouldn't be my bees...and I would never be able to be a beekeeper...not everyone has freedom of movement. To me it would be a brick wall against a hobby I have wanted for 20+ years. In the end I guess there are those who join and participate in associations and those that don't.

My local assoc. seems very 'boys toys' and 'jobs for the boys' rather than an inclusive bee-keepers group...

Last edited:
I also think a problem could be the jam and Jeruselem attitude of some local groups.

Until recently the majority of uk beekeepers were retired middle class,now thats changing because more young working class members are joining but may be getting put off by the attitudes.

Not a dig at any members,just a general observation in my local groups.

I have been to a few meetings at a members house where the attitude is look at my big house and notice I have cut the corners off the sandwiches,AND DONT DROP THAT TEAPOT its a handteak.

We belong to a good association, however we both work full time, we have various beasties to look after, so our turnout is poor but we enjoy the ones we make it to some meetings indeed some have been very interesting. This forum is our main patch and is a great teaching and learning environment. I have gained a lot and I hope one or two of my comments have been a bit helpful... however this is how we will be unless we win the lottery or until we retire

OR that you have failed miserably to bring about good beekeeping practices, something easily done, in people who have presented themselves to you for education in precisely that.

Friar Tuck sums it up well!

Not forgetting that some peeps with the money plus time on their hands get caught up in the hyperbole only to find that they have neither the commitment nor the affinity with bees !
I still advise would be beekeepers to latch onto a reputable beekeeper and assist him for a full season before contemplating getting bees at all!
Whether to join the local branch of the BBKA or not is up to the individual .
However as yet it is still the place to make contact with the bee keeping world, get face to face help/advice , suss out sources of bee/equipment etc..

Any one wishing to keep bees in my area an not join the association , will be neither spurned nor shot :cheers2:

John Wilkinson

"Quality time at association meetings is what's needed. Feed the beginner until he wants no more. Make them understand quickly, keep their attention and get them on side. "

:iagree:

The BBKA aren't the only swarm catchers.

The NBT also do so - I do however have visions of them leaving the swarm in-situ until the right phase of the lunar calendar and then gently coaxing them into a straw hat with the hem of a white lacy dress whilst 20 naked newbeek acolytes stand around chanting and hoping to get their hands on the bees

http://www.naturalbeekeepingtrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/0564.jpg

(of course they'll need to be DEMETER certified before they're allowed to get their hands on the bees!!!).

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

dunno why I'm getting flack for doing Herr Flick impressions - I was trying (obviously unsuccessfully) to humorously make the entirely valid point that 2/3 of beekeepers are outside the BBKA, and yet the BBKA associations are taking it upon themselves to grab all the swarms going, then decide who THEY think are suitable recipients - and it does mean that to get hold of a swarm, people may have to compromise their principles by lending their name, support and funding to the BBKA, and their bedfellows in the pesticide companies in order to "get going"........ Is that entirely fair or moral?

dunno why I'm getting flack for doing Herr Flick impressions - I was trying (obviously unsuccessfully) to humorously make the entirely valid point that 2/3 of beekeepers are outside the BBKA, and yet the BBKA associations are taking it upon themselves to grab all the swarms going, then decide who THEY think are suitable recipients - and it does mean that to get hold of a swarm, people may have to compromise their principles by lending their name, support and funding to the BBKA, and their bedfellows in the pesticide companies in order to "get going"........ Is that entirely fair or moral?

GRABBING ALL THE SWARMS?
If two thirds of beekeepers are out side the BBKA, how come they don't grab all the swarms? (maybe the hands off beekeepers don't know they've lost any :rofl:)
Me thinks your conspiracy theories have taken over your life to the point where paranoia has set in :smilie_bett:

John Wilkinson

It's a conspiracy.

GRABBING ALL THE SWARMS?
If two thirds of beekeepers are out side the BBKA, how come they don't grab all the swarms? (maybe the hands off beekeepers don't know they've lost any :rofl:)
Me thinks your conspiracy theories have taken over your life to the point where paranoia has set in :smilie_bett:

John Wilkinson

John
Don't mention wind turbines, doh! I just did.:svengo:
TBRNoTB

Easy way is to charge them the going rate for bees, then give them half of it back a year further on if they attend meetings. Win win situation if they turn up then goal achieved if not the association has made some cash.

Back