Temporary new members!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not just charge them £150 each and refund £100 after the 2nd year of being a memeber. With all the help and advice you get from an association its not expencive. I gladly paid £150 for mine and I think of them as part of my family.

What about the new members with a hive keep them in the association apiary or with a mentor until the second year,they should then be ready to take the basic exam and ready to take the hive home.

That way they will have to pay second year subs,that should half the loss of members in the second year.

Brosville; Think twice - Post once ;)

We have a similar scheme Mark. The Club rents out space for the members hive (£5 for the year) The member can inspect with the apiary manager most times, but as a matter of course on meeting days.

Just to add to the debate,

We add the cost of Association membership to the cost of the beginners course. After a two month theory course ( one evening a week) we then provide a nuc of bees and two months handling practice ( once again one evening a week) as well as a sub towards a full sized hive. All for about £120. Yes, it is a daft price, but it does mean that our courses are popular and we are supposed to be a charity devoted to increasing the number of beekeepers!

So far we are holding about 60% of new members after three or more years, but our attendance at monthly meetings is nothing to boast about.

We are keen for any suggestions on how to help the "improvers" and make sure we keep them longer.

Just to add to the debate,

So far we are holding about 60% of new members after three or more years, but our attendance at monthly meetings is nothing to boast about.

What is "nothing to boast about"?

I have been going to the Romford division meetings for the EBKA and they seem to average around 30-40.

We average 10% attendance at the monthly meetings, so a lot of new members are not coming to the meetings.

Mind you the swarm control meetings are popular!

Latest posts

Back