Swarm staying in tree

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncsc

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi, in a tree I have a swarm that swarmed on Good Friday. The bees have stayed in a ball in the same location, about 20 feet up a tree, for the past 4 days now. On the second day they were drenched by a thunder storm. Now that the weather has cooled there seems to be little flying activity but it does increase if the sun comes out. Are they likely to stay there and die off or could they start to build comb to become an exposed nest, or are they more likely to move off sometime soon? How long could they stay there?

Many thanks

I had a swarm last year into a neighbors tree but far too high for me to reach. I tried setting up a bait hive with a lure, nothing. Whilst I was away on business a local beek came round and (with my permission) had a go at catching it. He had a really long pole with a branch lopper on and climbed a ladder aswell! Far too risky for my liking. Anyway he got it down and piled it all into a hive in my apiary (even though I said he could have them) but by the time I returned they had left anyway!

Hi, in a tree I have a swarm that swarmed on Good Friday. The bees have stayed in a ball in the same location, about 20 feet up a tree, for the past 4 days now. On the second day they were drenched by a thunder storm. Now that the weather has cooled there seems to be little flying activity but it does increase if the sun comes out. Are they likely to stay there and die off or could they start to build comb to become an exposed nest, or are they more likely to move off sometime soon? How long could they stay there?

Many thanks

are they collecting pollen if so they may be setting up home, probably for a short time as they seem to have forgotten which country they are living in..

it may be that the bad weather has stopped them scouting sucessfully and their still looking when they can for a good home. swarm trap may be worth a shot.

presume what you are really asking is " could somebody nearby come and collect it please"?

if this is the case and no-one on here offers then contact your local BKA (bee keepers association) - there will be someone willing to try i'm sure.

i would offer but im too far away . i would try a bait hive with lemon grass oil, if all fails i would leave the b/hive there and shake the branch with a rope or a long stick and a wood saw taped to the end??. just a idea

Last year I lost a swarm...

They came to rest 10m up an oak tree and, despite bait hives etc, they stayed up there for 5 days and eventually b******d off.

Ben P

Don't any of you people own ladders? :)

A long pole- lopping type of gardening equipment- tie a frame with a little brood on it. Place just under swarm - bees will come down to it- then lower to ground - worked for me :biggrinjester:

Latest posts

Back