Secondary swarm still in tree after more than a week…

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
My strongest hive swarmed about ten days ago (my fault) and two similar/sized lumps of bees settled on an elder tree half way up a steep bank over a beck…

I managed to reach one and hived it, they absconded the first time but stayed when I tried again…with a bribe of a honey frame to encourage them to stay.

The second one is too high to reach, so they’ve been sat there through days of rain looking increasingly miserable…is it that they can’t find a new home or are they just too hungry and exhausted to go anywhere now?

If they were reachable I’d wondered about putting them “back” in with the others but as I can’t get to them it’s irrelevant! Just sad seeing them there doing nothing - but from what you’ve just said I’ve learnt something at least, as I didn’t know whether they were two Queens two swarms or one Queen and two parts of the same swarm…

If it was a cast as you suggest I suspect they’ll have a queen
Some swarms hang around for long periods, others will set up home in the open as these may have done. They likely will have built some comb and it’s not uncommon to see these exposed colonies in the Autumn as they become exposed in the branches.

Ah. Thought it was the first swarm out
Sorry I have confused myself - and you - I called it secondary because it was slightly smaller, but I don’t know for definite as both sets were there when I got in from work…as you say we’ll see if they build comb where they are, it’s not the most sheltered place they could have chosen.

Sorry I have confused myself - and you - I called it secondary because it was slightly smaller, but I don’t know for definite as both sets were there when I got in from work…as you say we’ll see if they build comb where they are, it’s not the most sheltered place they could have chosen.
I meant the prime. The first out. The colony hadn’t swarmed two weeks earlier?

Have you checked for the queen in the one you do have?
Was planning on doing an inspection at the weekend - not wanting to prompt another escape by fussing them too soon, but it’s just over a week since I hived them so maybe I should look tomorrow; I had thought they wouldn’t stay there without her, but possibly that’s not how it works?

Ok no queen in the colony I could reach and hive so I've given them a frame of brood from my other hive, and we'll see what happens. The swarm I couldn't reach flew away on Sunday on the only dry day for weeks...

Assuming the Q- colony make some queen cells, do I need to choose one to leave, or leave them all; I've read online that at this time of year it's best to leave the bees to sort it out, and that they're unlikely to swarm again?

I'd like to go into the Autumn with two hives if possible (I've just got brave and united a Q+ nuc with my other previously Q- colony, and they are doing fine) so whatever is the least risky option re the queen cells will be the way to go!

Ok no queen in the colony I could reach and hive so I've given them a frame of brood from my other hive, and we'll see what happens. The swarm I couldn't reach flew away on Sunday on the only dry day for weeks...

Assuming the Q- colony make some queen cells, do I need to choose one to leave, or leave them all; I've read online that at this time of year it's best to leave the bees to sort it out, and that they're unlikely to swarm again?

I'd like to go into the Autumn with two hives if possible (I've just got brave and united a Q+ nuc with my other previously Q- colony, and they are doing fine) so whatever is the least risky option re the queen cells will be the way to go!
You could leave them all if you want to chance getting a decent queen but me? I would order a good queen.
But that’s me!

And do I want a native queen or a buckfast - conditions where I live are challenging so a Northumberland Queen (if there are any left) feels like it might be more suitable but what do I know 😄

Ah I’m biased. I like my orange bees. See if black mountain honey have any Jolanta’s in stock?
I had a Northumberland queen last year and she was superseded pretty quickly.
@jenkinsbrynmair has Northumberland queens. He might give an opinion.

Latest posts

Back