Attracting swarms - what are the odds?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually place bait hives in friend's gardens. They enjoy watching scouts checking out the hives. I place each hive on a stack of 3 milk crates. I'm too old to climb ladders.

One problem I've had with captured swarms is that you can get swarmy or aggressive bees. I like to re-queen swarms from a known strain.

I usually place bait hives in friend's gardens. They enjoy watching scouts checking out the hives. I place each hive on a stack of 3 milk crates. I'm too old to climb ladders.

One problem I've had with captured swarms is that you can get swarmy or aggressive bees. I like to re-queen swarms from a known strain.

Interesting. Every queen in my apiary either arrived with a swarm, or is descended from a queen which arrived with a swarm. I've never had a very nasty hive, and only one or two in memory have been what I would call "defensive". The vast majority are lovely.

They may be more swarmy than average, though I have no evidence for or against this really.

Have just mounted my 1st bait hive with closed off floor, super, 3 drawn combs, 7 frames, crown board and roof.
Also note the high-tech stick to reduce entrance (patented).BaitIMG_20220324_161847.jpg

Have just mounted my 1st bait hive with closed off floor, super, 3 drawn combs, 7 frames, crown board and roof.
Also note the high-tech stick to reduce entrance (patented).View attachment 31042
I'm pretty sure Pargyle patented that type of entrance reducer last year! 😉

I'm pretty sure Pargyle patented that type of entrance reducer last year! 😉
You know me too well ... as it happens I have hand turned, hardwood single bee space entrance tunnels - specifically designed for bait box entrances and guaranteed to attract swarms ~ available for a very modest sum !

Happy to report that a medium sized swarm crawled into my lure hive this morning.

It's a five frame NUC, I used lemongrass oil on a cotton wool bud and included three frames of old comb and two frames with wax foundation. The box was located at a height of 10 feet, under the cherry tree in my garden.

Thank you again for all the excellent advice.

I have a follow-up question. I understand the importance of letting them get established but I'm a little concerned that the NUC may be a tight fit for them. How long would you say I need before transferring them to their permanent home?

Happy to report that a medium sized swarm crawled into my lure hive this morning.

It's a five frame NUC, I used lemongrass oil on a cotton wool bud and included three frames of old comb and two frames with wax foundation. The box was located at a height of 10 feet, under the cherry tree in my garden.

Thank you again for all the excellent advice.

I have a follow-up question. I understand the importance of letting them get established but I'm a little concerned that the NUC may be a tight fit for them. How long would you say I need before transferring them to their permanent home?
I would move them tonight and transfer them to a new box the following morning

That's contrary to what I understood to be best practice, but I'm happy to go with it. Thanks

How far are you moving them?

EDIT - I have seen 30 feet in another tread

Do what Dani said

If you move them tonight, you will lose maybe 50 foragers who will return to the bait hive location tomorrow morning
If you move them tomorrow night, you will lose 300
If you move them in a week, you will lose your entire foraging force - maybe 1000 bees?
Numbers are a guesstimate to make the point!

Best practice is that you have to move them between locations along a ley-line

But if you deviate 1 metre either side, they all fly off. So be careful and take it slowly!
I just went to move them and there was a little sign on the door saying 'this place is no good, gone to look for a lay line'. Beekeeping is so hard

Latest posts

Back