Attracting swarms - what are the odds?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beagle23

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It was a crappy winter, made redundant just before Christmas, one of my queens died unexpectedly in January and both of my remaining colonies were obliterated by a tree which came down during the big storm in February.

So it's now mid March and I find myself with two rebuilt hives, no bees and the wife is keeping the purse strings soldered shut. The only options available are to put the hobby on hold for a year or try to attract a swarm.

I've spent a couple of days reading and watching videos about swarm capture, I think I'm now able to maximise the chances of capturing a swarm, but I'd be interested to hear what you consider the chances are. I live in a suburban area, the closest apiary is about 3 miles away. IF I put a bait hive in a tree, with various lures are we talking single digit % chance of success?

Don't worry, the closest honeybee nest is far closer than 3 miles.

I would struggle to put a percentage on it. But I would certainly set both your hives up as bait hives, in your apiary (block the mesh floor, keep the entrance small, etc etc). By all means then also set bait hives in trees etc. The more the merrier probably. If you have some old brood comb in them (which you presumably have to hand) then I would say there's a very good chance that you will catch a swarm in one of them.

Get them set up next week to give plenty of time for scouts to find them, but don't be surprised if none arrive in April..

You’ve an excellent chance of attracting swarms!! Go ahead and give it a go plenty of advice and recommendations here.

As per Parsonage: do you have nearby beekeeping friends/acquaintances? My problem is is the opposite: I struggle to keep the number of colonies manageable because most swarm control methods result in increase. Get a friend to do a Demaree and give you the frames from the top box containing a queen cell.

Sadly, no. Work commitments always kept me from joining the local BKA and I simply don't know anyone else in the area who practices the hobby

Sadly, no. Work commitments always kept me from joining the local BKA and I simply don't know anyone else in the area who practices the hobby

You don't actually have to attend your BKA - I never have. Just join it so you can be in the loop of local things via their emails, and perhaps in your case be given a swarm. The insurance is probably worth having too.

You don't actually have to attend your BKA - I never have. Just join it so you can be in the loop of local things via their emails, and perhaps in your case be given a swarm. The insurance is probably worth having too.

Our branch has plenty of ghost members who are only in for the insurance. It's good as it bumps up the income for the training appiary too.

Go for it. I started with a swarm caught in a bait hive and have regularly caught two or three every year. Biggest worry has been a couple of cases of EFB not far away. Read Seeley (attached) and follow his suggestions. I have found that if you can manage to get the bait hive 5m (15ft) above ground, it works better.

Movie shows what it is like when it works

Attachments

• Swarm arriving 2.mp4
    22.4 MB
  • seeley 197_ Bait Hives for Honey Bees.pdf
    803.4 KB · Views: 34
My first couple of years i was setting up swarm traps all around the local area easy pickings

When I moved to Shropshire I put all my hives onto the lawn in a big pile as they came out of the removal lorry. They weren't stacked or in any order. No bees in any as I had sold them all on before I moved. The following day the first swarm arrived! It happens!

When I moved to Shropshire I put all my hives onto the lawn in a big pile as they came out of the removal lorry. They weren't stacked or in any order. No bees in any as I had sold them all on before I moved. The following day the first swarm arrived! It happens!
I did that with a nuc. Stuck it on top my wood store and within - yes within - 24 hours a swarm moved in and I still have their offspring. have put my name down for a Ukrainian refugee or two as well but expect to be told we are too rural. Pity as I feel devastated for what is happening to them.(n)(n)

I gave up beekeeping about 20 years ago; then about 15 years ago I thought I would set up my old national hive in the garden with some 5 year old drawn rat-eared brood frames.....Nothing, Zilch for 12 years. Last year I thought I would give Lemongrass a try. Doused a tissue in Lemongass put it on top of the frames and lo and behold, come the end of May, what should turn up but a lovely swarm of bees. I don't know what the thoughts are of the intelligentsia re Lemon grass, maybe it works or maybe I was just lucky.....Just saying

I gave up beekeeping about 20 years ago; then about 15 years ago I thought I would set up my old national hive in the garden with some 5 year old drawn rat-eared brood frames.....Nothing, Zilch for 12 years. Last year I thought I would give Lemongrass a try. Doused a tissue in Lemongass put it on top of the frames and lo and behold, come the end of May, what should turn up but a lovely swarm of bees. I don't know what the thoughts are of the intelligentsia re Lemon grass, maybe it works or maybe I was just lucky.....Just saying
Bees love it. Always have some to hand

Latest posts

Back