Attracting a swarm to a nuc box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi. We have bees living in our roof space - they've been there for years and years. They swarmed in early June and were captured and given to a Beek friend.

They have swarmed again today at lunch time (another large swarm ) and have come to rest in the oak tree opposite the roof entrance, about 40 feet up from the ground.

My tree climbing days (and associated bruised knees) are well in the past so instead, I have put a nuc box with six frames (one frame of drawn comb - its all I have) with an attractant sachet (for good or ill) pinned to one of the frames. The box is currently at the base of the tree in semi-shade. The lid is just open (about 2 inches), enough hopefully for any scouts to enter and look around.

They are tantalisingly out of reach but my question is: is there anything else I could be doing - putting sugar syrup in the feeder section of the nuc, for example, or have I done what I can and just leave it now and hope for the best.

I am very aware that they will do what is best for the colony and coming into my nuc box may not be best in their opinion.

Thanks for any ideas or comments !

Hello Melbee

I see you've got some hives. Ok - take a frame of open brood, shake off the bees, and fasten that frame into some kind of box which is open - say at the base - but any opening will do, as long as bees can gain access.

Hopefully you've got a fishing rod or can borrow one. Cast a weighted line over a branch as near to the swarm as possible. Tie some thin rope or strong cord to the fishing line and pull it back over the branch and down to the ground.

Tie that rope to the box containing the brood comb, and also tie a second rope to the box, to enable you to pull it back down/ steady it etc.

Then hoist the box up to as near to the swarm as possible, and watch what happens.

Of course having done that - they'll probably come down of their own accord - that's bees ... :)

LJ

Hi LJ. Thanks for the idea. The oak tree is dense with large branches and the swarm is pretty high up. But I do have frames with brood on and will ask a neighbour about a fishing rod. I can certainly seek out some rope and I keep a good sized box handy - just in case a swarm becomes available (ha!)

The swarm was still there about 5 minutes ago. Perhaps they will stay put for the night and I will get a chance to get at them tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Melbee - please let us know what happens. Interesting one.

Just in case you're interested to know from where this idea originated - the following is a picture from a 1920 beekeeping book by Philips:

3h1cw.jpg

He used 2 x 1/2-sized brood frames, and as you can see it has a hook and is mounted on the end of a pole. That should be good for 15-20 feet with a pair of steps or a ladder.

But I think the fishing rod is called for when you're up around the 40-50 feet mark ... :)

Good luck.

LJ

Capturing the swarm in a nucbox may be possible, but they are not likely to choose one as a home - just nof big enough for any decent prime swarm.

Thanks everyone. The swarm is still in the tree tonight. I've moved the nuc out of the field, below the tree (we have cows...) and set it up again nearby, on the driveway on a raised platform.

Yes Oliver, you are quite right to make the point about a nuc not being big enough as a home for a large swarm. If I am lucky enough to catch these bees, I would be thinking about putting them into a proper hive asap.

The picture from the 1920 book looks like an instrument of torture! Incredible the devices people come up with.
I will let you know the outcome of all this.

Probably not good practice for all sorts of reasons (wasps and hygiene for starters, I'm sure you'll all throw more at me) but how about smearing a little honey on your bait box as well? Bearing in mind how my bees manage to find the slightest smear left on a tray or brush it might act as a further attractant?

-If I am lucky enough to catch these bees,

Sadly, you missed the 'glaring subtlety' of the point I was making.

'Capturing' is not the same as 'attracting'.

Your chances of them moving to a too-small box, of their own volition, is remote. Of course, this could be a tiny cast and could be 'attracted', but somehow I doubt it.

Ah, of course, Oliver ! "Attract" is all I can do. I'm just hoping ... though I'm very aware that this swarm and my nuc box are rather like a 'pint and a half pint bottle'.

It's a beautiful rugger ball of a swarm and it will have been worth watching the activity as the guard bees are starting to fly around this morning.

Ah, of course, Oliver ! "Attract" is all I can do. I'm just hoping ... though I'm very aware that this swarm and my nuc box are rather like a 'pint and a half pint bottle'.

It's a beautiful rugger ball of a swarm and it will have been worth watching the activity as the guard bees are starting to fly around this morning.

Wedge a big cardboard box with a hole in it up in the tree.

When swarms are out of reach I try and offer them a few options. They appear to prefer full size hives to nucs as said above. Whatever box you are trying to attract them to, put some lemongrass oil at the entrance/inside it. It has worked for me quite a few times and if given a choice swarms have always chosen the one with lemongrass oil.

I have used the brood frame idea..it worked.. but the weight of the bees on it does give tricky lowering through the branches. Mine finally collapsed near the ground, but all bees recovered as they went into box that then covered them...

Also used 6 ropes, with rounders bat for weight ,on slightly lower very thin branches to drag the tree down to my level of recovery.

I have used the brood frame idea..it worked.. but the weight of the bees on it does give tricky lowering through the branches. Mine finally collapsed near the ground, but all bees recovered as they went into box that then covered them...

Also used 6 ropes, with rounders bat for weight ,on slightly lower very thin branches to drag the tree down to my level of recovery.
Very innovative, well done.

Drstitson please! My head for heights...

48. Hrs on the the swarm is still there. Yes I've a big box and could try wedging it up into one of the lower branches. One of the association members has empty hive parts that I may be able to borrow.

Drstitson please! My head for heights...

48. Hrs on the the swarm is still there. Yes I've a big box and could try wedging it up into one of the lower branches. One of the association members has empty hive parts that I may be able to borrow.

Melbee - can you borrow a ladder ? If so, you could always try tying said box - with or without brood comb - to the top couple of rungs. Before you raise it, obviously ...
If successful, with the bees on board it might then be a team effort to lower the ladder gently - but it might be worth a go ...

Gotta be better than 'doing a fireman'. (or is it 'fire-person' these days ?) :)

LJ

40 feet up?

That is still a good couple of metres higher than a 10m triple extending ladder stood vertical, so may need an extension on top of the ladder for the box. Rather you than me. Make sure you are wearing a hard hat!

There's now a large cardboard box, with entrance space at the top, wedged into the lower branches of the tree. I've rubbed lemon grass around the entrance area and put one frame of drawn comb inside. Using a ladder and the help of a friend, it's about 12 feet off the ground - and the best I can do.

It's now raining here in North Staffs and the swarm is sitting tight 6.55pm. For reasons best known to himself, my dear husband decided to light a bonfire about 20 yds from the tree about 2 hrs ago. :hairpull: though whether the smoke that drifted up through the branches has affected their behaviour, I can only guess.
Guess whose making supper tonight...?:ohthedrama:

Latest posts

Back