Out of ideas with a part swarm in willow trees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Managed to get about half a new swarm that emanated from my long hive in poly box yesterday and despite some girls fanning at entrance the other half won’t come down. I had made the misguided mistake as was a new queen last year would be ok so lax on last quick inspection. My bad. Lots of in and out and orientation activity with the box which I want to move to apiary asap. I am wondering if two queens could have been in the swarm? Tried to smoke them down from the tangle of old twisted branches but they refuse to move. Neighbours passing in cars laughing at mad woman swinging from a willow tree like Tarzans Jane. I don’t want to abandon them in case Q in there somewhere. Any ideas gratefully received. I suppose if all else fails I move the box and donate some eggs and brood?

Attachments

• IMG_1131.jpeg
    IMG_1131.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Can you get high enough to either shake those bees sharply into the box or put a rope round and do the same?

Can you get high enough to either shake those bees sharply into the box or put a rope round and do the same?
It’s a very stubby old tree i am afraid and the bees are in the middle of some old coppiced branches with no give. I managed to shake one half into box when they were lower down yesterday luckily but my attempted shaking and swinging from the branches this morning just got them flying like lunatics as you would expect. There are quite a number constantly orientating outside so maybe it is gradual part groups coming down but still seeing some going back into tree too. Thanks. I am beginning to think maybe just leave for a few days and see what happens. If they go at least I have one half and can donate some eggs and brood as insurance as don’t want to bother them too much.
Can you get close to offer them a brood frame on a pole or similar?
Thats interesting. With or without brood? Yes I could.

Can you get close to offer them a brood frame on a pole or similar?

Or ask around your local BKA to see if anyone has a bee vacuum?

It's entirely possible there's another queen in the group that won't move. Perhaps if you could get them going into a second box they might be more willing? Though I had a similar situation earlier this year and I just couldn't get the rump end of the swarm to move at all. I had to leave them to it in the end. Oddly, "Build a bee vacuum" was on my list of projects for last winter, but other things came up and I decided I'd probably not need it that often so I could leave it for another time. Then this Spring happened and I could have used it four or five times in the last month.

James

Or ask around your local BKA to see if anyone has a bee vacuum?

It's entirely possible there's another queen in the group that won't move. Perhaps if you could get them going into a second box they might be more willing? Though I had a similar situation earlier this year and I just couldn't get the rump end of the swarm to move at all. I had to leave them to it in the end. Oddly, "Build a bee vacuum" was on my list of projects for last winter, but other things came up and I decided I'd probably not need it that often so I could leave it for another time. Then this Spring happened and I could have used it four or five times in the last month.

James
Thanks James. After arrival this week of a nail gun and compressor hubby may start his hard stare routine. Hoover on my list though. Don’t want to bother the swarm guys and girls. I have done ok even if they go.

It’s a very stubby old tree i am afraid and the bees are in the middle of some old coppiced branches with no give. I managed to shake one half into box when they were lower down yesterday luckily but my attempted shaking and swinging from the branches this morning just got them flying like lunatics as you would expect. There are quite a number constantly orientating outside so maybe it is gradual part groups coming down but still seeing some going back into tree too. Thanks. I am beginning to think maybe just leave for a few days and see what happens. If they go at least I have one half and can donate some eggs and brood as insurance as don’t want to bother them too much.

Thats interesting. With or without brood? Yes I could.
Young brood, they should move over to cover it.

I catch dozens of swarms every season
You will need some access equipment -you're no good to them with broken bones.
Late evening as it drops temperature give them a good spray with water and swipe them off into a box and leave it close by somehow.
My correx boxes have entrance discs set to "qx'
Forget smoke - it disrupts the pheromone signal from the box.
Once the cluster has cleared douse the branches with copious water spray-give thre flyers a choice of cold wet tree or warm dry box.
I hate football.... ;)

I catch dozens of swarms every season
You will need some access equipment -you're no good to them with broken bones.
Late evening as it drops temperature give them a good spray with water and swipe them off into a box and leave it close by somehow.
My correx boxes have entrance discs set to "qx'
Forget smoke - it disrupts the pheromone signal from the box.
Once the cluster has cleared douse the branches with copious water spray-give thre flyers a choice of cold wet tree or warm dry box.
I hate football.... ;)
Thank you. Happy result with football. Off to drench some bees. X

Latest posts

Back