sugar price

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is just so typical of the world we live in - British Sugar supplying a non UK product………I’m sure they’ll be a reason but equally I’m sure there’s a reason why it shouldn’t.
Interesting how the packet shows a bright, colourful Union Flag yet shows the origin in barely readable print.

possibly the fact that since Brexit, the banning of certain neonicotinoid treatments and the cessation of subsidies many beet farmers have stopped producing sugarbeet
I thought the sugar industry in the UK has been given a green light to continue use of neonicotinoids.
A brexshit 'benefit' !
In my part of the country I have seen more sugar beet than ever before.
It helps being the chairman of British sugar with a tory mp for a wife.

Sugar futures on Friday closed at $0.277/lb - breaking a 12 year high.
https://tradingeconomics.com/

Higher crude oil prices lifted ethanol benchmarks in Brazil to near three-month highs, incentivizing the use of sugarcane to produce more profitable biofuels instead of raw sugar, and thus reducing the sweetener's supply from the world's top producer and exporter. Adding to woes, heavy rainfall in key growing regions of Brazil also delayed shipments that were scheduled for late October. Supply was also tight in India, as dry weather reduced cane yields from the world’s second-largest producer and exporter. Consequently, the Indian government announced it would extend ongoing export curbs until an undefined date, bringing the possibility of a further drop in quotas that reached 6 million tons in the previous marketing year.​

"

In Finland sugar is now in Lidl
1.35 €/kg.
Hi Jarmo,
Did you have a good honey season last year?
I was wondering, do you notice much by way of climate change there in Finland?
We had a very mild winter here which made seemed to make a big difference to the bees.

Sugar price Home Bargains :~ was 89p/1kg now £1.09

Hi Jarmo,
Did you have a good honey season last year?
I was wondering, do you notice much by way of climate change there in Finland?
We had a very mild winter here which made seemed to make a big difference to the bees.
Professor Kari Mielikäinen has reseached temperature fluctuation in Lapland. He has tree growth material from 6000 years from a Lapland lake.
We had very hot summer in South. Part of Finland has too much rain. Farmers crops were bad.

If it is hot and dry, then we get honey dew from aphids.
I did not extract honey brcause the summer was bad.

Sugar futures on Friday closed at $0.277/lb - breaking a 12 year high.
https://tradingeconomics.com/

Higher crude oil prices lifted ethanol benchmarks in Brazil to near three-month highs, incentivizing the use of sugarcane to produce more profitable biofuels instead of raw sugar, and thus reducing the sweetener's supply from the world's top producer and exporter. Adding to woes, heavy rainfall in key growing regions of Brazil also delayed shipments that were scheduled for late October. Supply was also tight in India, as dry weather reduced cane yields from the world’s second-largest producer and exporter. Consequently, the Indian government announced it would extend ongoing export curbs until an undefined date, bringing the possibility of a further drop in quotas that reached 6 million tons in the previous marketing year.​

"
So we arrive at yet another harmful impact of the fallacy of the CO2 global warming lie.

So we arrive at yet another harmful impact of the fallacy of the CO2 global warming lie.
Europa's farming circumtancies have been very hot and dry in recent years.

EU wants protect its sugar farming againt sugar cane production.

Well I have lived in the same house for over 40 years so let's look at my local evidence:
Hotter summers ? Yes
Colder winters? No
Warmer winters? Yes
More snow? No (we used to have 1 meter drifts in our yard.)
Hardly any snow ? Yes.
Earlier frosts? No.
Later frosts? Yes (First frosts used to be early October. No frosts this autumn- yet)

When reality and hype disagree I choose hype of course because I reject the real world...
:)

Well I have lived in the same house for over 40 years so let's look at my local evidence:
Hotter summers ? Yes
Colder winters? No
Warmer winters? Yes
More snow? No (we used to have 1 meter drifts in our yard.)
Hardly any snow ? Yes.
Earlier frosts? No.
Later frosts? Yes (First frosts used to be early October. No frosts this autumn- yet)

When reality and hype disagree I choose hype of course because I reject the real world...
:)
Causation and correlation are two entirely different things.

Here's something I learned as a member of the UK citizens' assembly on climate change when researching the impact of CO2 on climate.

Historical levels of CO2 were as high as 6000 ppm. Then along came calcareous animals that evolved the ability to bind CO2 with calcium to build protective shells, exoskeletons and corals. Over hundreds of millions of years these calcareous animals have helped to deplete atmospheric CO2 to 300 ppm laying down vast swathes of chalk and limestone deposits. At 150 ppm plants die and if atmospheric CO2 levels hit 150ppm then the world really will absolutely go silent.

One of the problems that plants have in arid climates is that low levels of CO2 result in the plants having to open their stomata wider to to absorb suffient CO2 to power photosynthesis. Opening stomata to such an extent results in loss of water and the plants dessicate and die resulting in desertification and elevated temperatures.

Burning fossil fuels recycles CO2 into the atmosphere and the rise of CO2 to 420ppm (partly from burning fossil fuels, partly from oceans releasing CO2 as they have naturally warmed) has actually driven the regreening of deserts. Perversely, burning fossil fuels is actually helping save the planet from calcareous animals.

Are we as humans causing climate change? Without question. But not because of CO2 emissions.

Causation and correlation are two entirely different things.

Are we as humans causing climate change? Without question. But not because of CO2 emissions.
I am not debating causation. I am saying what my eyes see. If you see the tide coming in, you don't debate how or why, but get out of the way.

Latest posts

Back