sugar price

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus nucs
I have been quoted 59p /kg for 900kg delivered. Gone up a lot from last year. Good old brezit!

Yes, I'm just pointing out that the rise in the UK sugar price over the last year can't be due to the devaluation of the pound, because the pound hasn't devalued over the last year (in fact, the opposite)

Ok let’s say then the pound hasn’t devalued , however you have to admit inflation, you can’t just print money out of thin air and hope to pay the same amount for imported goods.

Ok let’s say then the pound hasn’t devalued , however you have to admit inflation, you can’t just print money out of thin air and hope to pay the same amount for imported goods.

There is a massive global surge in prices happening at the moment, affecting all countries. The global prices of metals, wood, oil, sugar (and other agri-commodities) etc, are all up by huge amounts compared to this time last year. This is indeed partly due to government stimulus around the world, together with a very sharp economic rebound since the Covid lockdowns of last year. It is also due to restricted supply chains caused by Covid.

How long this price surge will last is a matter of great debate.

There is a massive global surge in prices happening at the moment, affecting all countries. The global prices of metals, wood, oil, sugar (and other agri-commodities) etc, are all up by huge amounts compared to this time last year. This is indeed partly due to government stimulus around the world, together with a very sharp economic rebound since the Covid lockdowns of last year. It is also due to restricted supply chains caused by Covid.

How long this price surge will last is a matter of great debate.

BOE think transitionary due to supply chain squeeze ,let’s see , I’m waiting for Jan to see what year lies ahead

I have been quoted 59p /kg for 900kg delivered. Gone up a lot from last year. Good old brezit!
Better than the quotes I've had from Bako and booker. Any chance you could PM me the supplier?

I’m buying silver spoon sugar for £0.65p a kilo bag from Ocado at the moment

The sugar price has nearly doubled since last year you cannot blame Brexit for everything guys.
View attachment 27192

So can I blame the EU then for banning the use of Neonicotinoid dressing on sugar beet seeds which has resulted in lots of beet crops being destroyed by cabbage flea beetle and the farmers having to use far more toxic (to all insect life in a field) sprayed pesticide to combat them?

My understanding is that sugar from non EU parts of the world i.e. cane sugar is much cheaper to produce than EU beet sugar but the EU heavily subsidise sugar beet to help EU farmers and disadvantage those from the third world.
Global sugar price is strongly affected by its use to produce alcohol which is mixed with petrol, even in the fuel we use in the UK (how this can possibly be “green” puzzles me)

Latest posts

Back