strimming around hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
my garden hives need the grass cutting around them occasionally

previously i have closed up entrances with tape early in the am and strimmed around...then opened later

do people have better methods and, can doing this convert placid bees into angrier bees at all?

I strim and mow with a petrol mower when bees are flying strongly.

Not an issue.

Any hive that attacks is requeened asap. (Which is why it is not an issue).
Had no real problems for the past 4 years.

Strimming in the evening when most of the bees are at home, isn’t the most often vaunted time .
like madasafish I find it better when most of the flying bees are out foraging and too busy to bother you ..
in the evening when the bees are fanning the freshly gathered nectar and the smell of honey emitting from the hives is in the time when the guards are on high alert?

I bought a simple veil from STBK for mowing & strimming
Like Jules59, we have a few cheap veils dotted around the garden sheds in case we need them. However, I have osteospermum or creeping phlox planted around my hives so I don't need to mow or strim the areas directly around them. It looks nice, and keeps the weeds down. I just have a couple of stepping stones behind the hives where I stand to inspect them.

I use a cowboy-hat type veil.
Do the work early in the morning and try to plan it around the worst weather that you can work

If I really have to be there during working hours I put on an old fencing veil suit.
I strim ,mow rotivate whatever.

The OH has planted bulbs in front of the hives with no PPE although she later admitted to clenching hard the whole time.

Once had a nasty lot that attacked the Orange coloured mower (they were ok with red or blue machines?)
They were relocated.
The only attention I get is the odd collision with a fast flying forager when I step into the flight path.

Strimming around hives I wear my beesuit. I used to use a 2 stroke Japanese strimmer and found the bees attacked the engine. I now use a Honda 4 stroke strimmer and they ignore it. Similarly using a Briggs and Stratton powered mower used to upset them more than my current old Honda.

Strimming around hives I wear my beesuit. I used to use a 2 stroke Japanese strimmer and found the bees attacked the engine. I now use a Honda 4 stroke strimmer and they ignore it. Similarly using a Briggs and Stratton powered mower used to upset them more than my current old Honda.
Maybe very discerning bees? 😊 Or maybe it's the 2 stroke fumes that object too?

I had a nasty experience with a Briggs and Stratton mower. Every time I mowed around the hives it sent them into an attacking frenzy. I was stung thirteen times in one session through double marigolds!
I now have a Stihl battery operated mower. No fumes, noise or excessive vibration. Not a peep out of the girls since.

like madasafish I find it better when most of the flying bees are out foraging and too busy to bother you ..
Never found such a time with my busy bees. How strange that your turn a blind eye!!

I always wear a veil. One bee up the nose is enough to put you off forevermore! The trouble is you can't hear them when you are strimming until it is too late! A veil gives you that opportunity to notice they are not happy before you breath it in! Oddly enough I never get bothered with a veil on! However I did go through a stage a few years back with a petrol strimmer where as soon as I got near the hives one would swarm! Total coincidence but it was a bit freaky so I changed to a battery strimmer! 😆

Reactions: BBC
I've just acquired one of these on the local buy nothing FB site for my out apiaries.

1648749243573.png

Reactions: BBC
I've just acquired one of these on the local buy nothing FB site for my out apiaries.

View attachment 31192
always carry one around in the truck at summer, but just to keep a bit of grass down at each apiary soon mounts up so a battery powered strimmer is ace for a quick blast after an inspection.

I have an apiary in a old apple orchard and the old man who lives there (86) insists in striming it himself a few times a year with no protection and he hasnt once been stung with 12 hives in apiary. I nick named him Dr dolittle .

Back