Strike ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
To show​
allegiance to all the teachers who are having a day off because they want to show the Cameron condems that they are so dissapointed with having to work longer and pay a little more for their final salary index linked pensions that most of us would be more than happy with...... since the financial section has run off with all the money we invested in our non government non index linked now mostly useless pensions... mis ~ sold or what!!

I am also going on strike for the day!​

Hope it is sunny
Fridge is full of cool beer
Where is the deckchair ?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

my son went to college today as it was open, and his said , whats the difference between the teachers there or not??

i belive in unions
i belive in fair play
i belive in freedom of speach

but spolit brat teachers, silly service people and tube drivers should also be aware that i belive in flogging!!

To show​
allegiance to all the teachers who are having a day off because they want to show the Cameron condems that they are so dissapointed with having to work longer and pay a little more for their final salary index linked pensions that most of us would be more than happy with...... since the financial section has run off with all the money we invested in our non government non index linked now mostly useless pensions... mis ~ sold or what!!

I am also going on strike for the day!​

Hope it is sunny
Fridge is full of cool beer
Where is the deckchair ?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

AND WATCH THE BEES !

not worthy
not worthy
not worthy

Thought I was the only one!! just wish I could strike!! Unions werent there for me whenI was made redundant and employers changed figure after stating one figure.

They have jobs that are paid above the min wage, so If they dont like it. . . leave!

Rant over

Im back out to the bees!

My sister is an assistant head at a junior school after taking a career change from journalism some ten years ago. I am absolutely speechless at her generous retirement terms.
My step daughter is a police officer and not only has she had a ridiculous time of paid leave to produce two children, she manipulates overtime to give herself masses of free time and she can retire at 50 on a good wack.
I worked hard running my own business for 30 years, for the first 15 on call 24 hours a day apart from four weeks holiday. I tried to provide for my own pension and thought I had done OK only for the financial crash to annihilate most of it.
icanhopit...........I'll join you

Ok, rant over too.........

Teachers earn between 30 - 40K a year. Get very good Holidays . what are they moaning at........

Clodhopper has posted political jibes since he joined the forum
Time he concentrated on his beekeeping.
Leave the left wing love-in to the BBC. They are very good at it.

For the record:

The Hutton report found the average public sector pension payments - including workers and dependents - in 2009-10 were as follows:

Local government worker: £4,052
NHS worker: £7,234
Civil servant: £6,199
Teacher: £9,806
Member of armed forces: £7,722

It concluded that 10% of public sector workers received annual pensions of £17,000 or above, with retired policemen and fire officers most represented in this category compared to other sections of the workforce. It found that 1% of workers got payouts of £37,000 a year - two thirds of those were NHS doctors and consultants.

Source http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13775278

For the record:

It concluded that 10% of public sector workers received annual pensions of £17,000 or above, with retired policemen and fire officers most represented in this category compared to other sections of the workforce.

It did not state how much percentage of our wages we do pay into the scheme to allow us to be able to retire at that age and with those benefits. Again, selective information that can make certain groups look as if they are getting a lot more than others, but do not disclose the full facts (not having a go at the original post, but at the information source).

I pay 12% of my wages into my pension so that I can retire after 30 years service with a decent pension (and do hobby beekeeping full time). I choose to sign the contract that was presented to me at the time, a time when this problem was known about and forseen. If they had changed the contract before putting it in front of me then I would agree that I have no rights to complain.

I believe that public sector workers should receive what they have spent their working life contributing to. I do also think that capable firefighters who are 65 years old will be very few and far to find!

i love a good rant thread, realy cheers me up when i get the soapbox out and give it a good dusting,

must await someone to also go on strike so i can slag them off too, who's next on the hit list.

Erichalfbee, i know how you feel, 23 years paying into equitable life, i went from a fund of £248,000 to £13k and then told start again, pensions are safe!!!! i dont think so,

all this rantings making my throat dry, time for tea and bickies.

does anyone want to borrow my soap crate?

For the record:

The Hutton report found the average public sector pension payments - including workers and dependents - in 2009-10 were as follows:

Local government worker: £4,052
NHS worker: £7,234
Civil servant: £6,199
Teacher: £9,806
Member of armed forces: £7,722

It concluded that 10% of public sector workers received annual pensions of £17,000 or above, with retired policemen and fire officers most represented in this category compared to other sections of the workforce. It found that 1% of workers got payouts of £37,000 a year - two thirds of those were NHS doctors and consultants.

Source http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13775278

So don't tar all of us civil servants with the same brush!
When I started in C&E basic pay was p**s poor unless I worked like a dog for every hour offered 'but remember' I was always told 'at least there's a decent pension at the end of it' decent not ridiculously inflated as the government would have you believe in their leaks to the papers. I've just returned from a two week tour away patrolling the British isles working average 17 hour days a lot of it in not very nice conditions, trying to get a team onto a wildly pitching yacht in near gale force conditions(we don't get overtime nowadays our contracted hours are 12 per diem but we won't get any back.
I've attended the funerals of two colleagues who died in the line of duty, been sworn at spat at and shot at over the years.
My predeccessors agreed to pay cuts/freezes back in the 70's in exchange for this (on the whole) fair pension system.And if I find in the next few years I'm too knackered to jump on and off boats and go and work in a nice safe warm office- going home every night to my family but on basic pay that's what my final salary pension will be calculated on not the 23 plus years I slogged my guts out for. So some aspects of this new pension deal might be fairer for me (my union is negotiating today not striking BTW)But a contract agreed thirty years ago is still a contract, that's what a lot of us signed up for - change it in future but don't treat us already halfway through our working lives like dirt!!
What gets my goat is that thanks to the press we are all getting a slating - not just those that deserve it because people don't know all the facts!!:rant:

Now I'm going out into the garden and inspect my hive if I'm very lucky I might need another super, whatever i think I'll thrust my bare hands right into the melee - it might cool me down a bit :chillpill::)

And my back hurts, the lawn needs mowing and i can't find my stanley knife - one of the few items of my father's tools i have left to remember him by!!
Anyone seen my glasses?

Just my tuppence worth.
I think anyone who could put up with spoilt brats day in day out deserve as much as they can get and I don’t doubt that they need to retire early.
What really gets my goat is listening to people moaning that they may have to look after their own kids for a day because schools are shut, when did teachers become nurse maids and a child minding service?

Blimey I feel better, oh and to keep this about bees....went through 10 of mine today all with 3 supers busting with honey whooooo hey!
Cheers
S

Last edited:
I chose my career in the NHS 24 years ago partly because my job was reasonably autonomous and very interesting but also because even though I knew I wasn't going to be paid much in relation to my private sector peers, I would be able to retire at sixty with a reasonable (but not enormous) pension.

Hah bl**** hah! What a trusting, gullible pr*** I turned out to be!

Should've left uni to become a *anker in the city.

Yours, more than a little aggrieved
Cazza

All I know is that teachers don't start work untill 9am and finish at 3.30pm, then take six weeks holidays in the summer plus all the other holidays the kids have in between.

They should have lots of energy to work a few extra years like everyone else does...

All I know is that teachers don't start work untill 9am and finish at 3.30pm, then take six weeks holidays in the summer plus all the other holidays the kids have in between.

They should have lots of energy to work a few extra years like everyone else does...

I'm not a teacher but I do visit a lot of schools and I think you are being a teensy bit harsh. I can't defend the holidays but the schools in Norfolk I visit tend to be full of teachers well before 8.30 and well after 4p.m. I commonly go to meetings in schools which don't begin til 4p.m.
Teaching is also a pretty full on cognitive activity. Don't knock it til you've done it.
Cazza

I chose my career in the NHS 24 years ago partly because my job was reasonably autonomous and very interesting but also because even though I knew I wasn't going to be paid much in relation to my private sector peers, I would be able to retire at sixty with a reasonable (but not enormous) pension.

Hah bl**** hah! What a trusting, gullible pr*** I turned out to be!

Should've left uni to become a *anker in the city.

Yours, more than a little aggrieved
Cazza

:iagree: and I've only done 10 years so far :banghead:

What really gets my goat is listening to people moaning that they may have to look after their own kids for a day because schools are shut, when did teachers become nurse maids and a child minding service?

I usually try to aviod political discussions on the forum but feel obliged to chip in on this.
I don't think anyone (whether the support the strike or not) sees teachers as a child minding service. However, some of us find it very difficult to take a day off work, unpaid, at short notice so that someone who is paid more than us, works less hours than us, has more holidays than us and has a better pension can exercise their democratic right to strike.

I have sympathy with the teachers concerns about their pensions but I object to my child being used as a pawn in their game. Not a great fan of strikes I'm afraid. And, I believe I am in the majority.

Latest posts

Back