Strike ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We often blame the banks for the state of the economy but Government spending certainly contributes to that, Below are some eye watering sums that could be deemed as waste.

£26 Billion wasted on computer blunders

£18 Billion wasted on National ID cards-now scraped

£76 Billion on Trident Nuclear Missiles System

£5 Billion lost in bad Gold deals

£17 Billion unnecessary High Speed Rail Link which would reduce travel time by only 20minutes from Manchester to London.

£1 Billion (approx) State of the art Emergency Control Rooms, which are currently sat empty at a cost of £40,000 per day.

£50 Million Criminal Asset Recovery - Recovered so far = £8 Million

Foreign Aid Budget:

Currently £8.4 Billion set to increase to £12.6 Billion

Wars:

Libya War £260 Million

Afghanistan War £3 billion

Membership of the EU: Currently £65 Billion

Cost of bailing out the Euro (that we didn't convert to) £22 Billion with no guarantee we will get this money back.

The shortfall in Public sector Pensions currently stands at £2.29 Billion - small change compared to some of those figures above. The reason Public Sector Pensions are set to spiral out of control is because jobs are being farmed out to the Private Sector, so in coming years there will be fewer people paying in to the scheme hence the spirialing costs.

Whose fault is that????

Did they pay with Visa, maybe we can get our money back....:)

Brian

what can i say i love maggie, the only politician with balls they used to say, lol

I agree she was very good and 'of her time' she sorted out the country when it was bankcrupt, but it was also her that gave the bankers the oppotunity to do what they did by de regulating them to the point that no one knew what they were doing.

i just wish that the press was much less biased in how they report things as it can cause threads like this one.

maybe we should look at our hives and do what they do. all work as a team for the benefit of all of us.

Admin maybe its time we close this thread? before people start to get to personal about each other.

Last edited:
Did they pay with Visa, maybe we can get our money back....

Airmiles duo American Express.... double airmiles ???

How many trees would they have to plant to offset all that carbon????

I must go and lie down in a dark room now!

Admin maybe its time we close this thread? before people start to get to personal about each other.

All I said was I was taking a day off to watch my bees ............................ in my OP

Sorry to have stirred up a HORNETS nest
( not that I have anything against hornets!!)

Last edited:
hi icanhopit

i wasnt saying about anyone or anything in particular. i just know that politics like religion will eventually cause a massive argument between people.

btw im jelous u were able to have time with ur bees on thursday. i still had to work in my school on thursday as im and instuctor not a teacher so not on strike lol

The police and fire schemes are completely different schemes and their benefits in general are obscene.

I never tire of telling all my teacher friends how lucky they are when they are moaning about stuff. But that said, they and the civil service union renegotiated their terms once already and then the government bottled out from dealing with thE NHS one.

Not all public sector schemes are the same. Not all of them are bad. Some are even funded.

When will the government deal with MPs, judges and the Bank of England?

Clodhopper has posted political jibes since he joined the forum
Time he concentrated on his beekeeping.
Leave the left wing love-in to the BBC. They are very good at it.

Left wing love-in? It was a government line love-in yesterday morning, and not very balanced. Loads of links of the same three reporters saying the same thing but reporting nothing.

I believe that public sector workers should receive what they have spent their working life contributing to. I do also think that capable firefighters who are 65 years old will be very few and far to find!

So do I. But the fire service's benefits are generous. So much so that I have yet to meet a single fireman in the past five years who doesn't moonlight with a second full-time career, albeit in phase with their shifts.

No, I don't meet firemen every day of the week, and i am sure there are many who don't qualify, but four of those i've met have been black cab drivers.

However, some of us find it very difficult to take a day off work, unpaid, at short notice so that someone who is paid more than us, works less hours than us, has more holidays than us and has a better pension can exercise their democratic right to strike.

You said it. Right.

Funny how this was never important before as people cared about money in the hand, not in the future. This is why the unions have poorly served their members by focusing on a few fractions.

To show​
allegiance to all the teachers who are having a day off because they want to show the Cameron condems that they are so dissapointed with having to work longer and pay a little more for their final salary index linked pensions that most of us would be more than happy with...... since the financial section has run off with all the money we invested in our non government non index linked now mostly useless pensions... mis ~ sold or what!!

I am also going on strike for the day!​

Hope it is sunny
Fridge is full of cool beer
Where is the deckchair ?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

if you was a teacher then you would understand how much stress you was under!!! with haveing to teacher 990 different students per week then wirting 990 reports for every one of them as well as marking 990 books every week as well as home work and course work and clean the house and make dinner and get the kidds to school every day and have a life teacher work for there money. im married to one they work longer hour then most of use so think before you start writing crap whats this got to do with bees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you was a teacher then you would understand how much stress you was under!!! with haveing to teacher 990 different students per week then wirting 990 reports for every one of them as well as marking 990 books every week as well as home work and course work and clean the house and make dinner and get the kidds to school every day and have a life teacher work for there money. im married to one they work longer hour then most of use so think before you start writing crap whats this got to do with bees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps ive just got back from the pub!

I would certainly never knock teachers. Many of my friends and family members are teachers and they do a great job. In fact, I am myself thinking about going into teaching.
What I do object to is unions flexing their muscles halfway through a negotiating process, leaving many less well-paid people out of pocket.

Negotiation requires two sides to create dialogue. The government has not produced the valuation for the teachers' scheme, yet it expects the union to continue to negotiate. And remember, this is one of the schemes that agreed to change already. I wonder if perhaps things don't look as bad as the government would like us to believe?

:iagree:
That's the whole point - the buggers don't even know for sure yet what they are striking about.
Luckily my union (the other half of the immigration mob) are negotisating not striking.
But please don't start me again!!:D
by the way did stick my bare hands in the hive - first time ever. Highly recommended, no sting but now I'm calm :coolgleamA:

The teachers know. The civil service scheme also reformed, didn't it?

This RPI/CPI change will progressively erode the value of public sector pensions of those due to retire soon and those already retired, for whom the retrospective alteration of scheme rules it is a betrayal of trust leading to progressive poverty in old age, some say as much as 40% of pension will be lost after 20 years, and it is clearly to late for them to make additional pension provision. This is NOT what was signed up to.

Good point. And it should be noted that not all PRIVATE sector schemes will move to CPI. Because they don't want to, or more likely, their scheme rules do not easily allow it.

RoseCottage, you are quite wrong. It is a contractual right. It is in their contract of employment. That is a right. Just as it is for the police, MPs and even bankers.

The strikes are point less because the goverment doesn't listen to the voter's that put them in power. |It's starting to feel like no matter who we vote for nothing gets done. .

being a child of the thatcher era and having seen some of the running battles the miners did to each other let alone what the police did to everyone, the best thing she ever did was to break the miners, she had no choice when she first came in with the winter of discontent, but that only served to had the lady stand fast next time they tried it.

i do hope cameron does the same, teachers are not that important to deserve special treatment, i would rather see the money go some where usefull like the ambalence people or nurses ( sod the doctors) people who realy do , do a massively under rated job

I'm sorry, Pete, but that is utter bollox. The way that woman behaved was outrageous and if we had a properly written out constitution, I am sure it would have been declared unconstitutional.

You are missing the point. These people are not asking for special treatment. They want to protect what they already have a RIGHT to expect, because it is written into their contracts of employment.

As for your own experience of Equitable Life, didn't members elect to distribute much of the reserve to members, thereby implicitly endorsing the actuaries unsustainable business model?

Wrong forum!

Absolutely wrong forum, but since we are here, hit the title below into the tube.

"The Story of Your Enslavement" on youtube explains what will happen to all the bees if we take our eyes completely off of the verroa.

Last edited:
being a child of the thatcher era and having seen some of the running battles the miners did to each other let alone what the police did to everyone, the best thing she ever did was to break the miners, she had no choice when she first came in with the winter of discontent, but that only served to had the lady stand fast next time they tried it.

i do hope cameron does the same, teachers are not that important to deserve special treatment, i would rather see the money go some where usefull like the ambalence people or nurses ( sod the doctors) people who realy do , do a massively under rated job
So was I Pete I was in the middle of a mining community, just having lost my father at fifteen years old with most of my older relatives with their lungs in bits trying to keep me in one piece I didn't agree with what the NUM was doing neither did I like what thatcher did but whatever - it was a nasty old business, I would not like a repeat of it.
Why all of a sudden has this thread become an onslaught on teachers - it affects a lot more people than that (the amblumance - keep the misspelling going - people and others who help keep this country going) I don't deserve special treatment but having knackered my body over the last twenty odd years working for a goal i was promised at least i expect fair play, yes we are in this together and I don't expect everything I was promised but i don't expect to be SH**t upon either
God i hate the daily mail!!

I'm sorry, Pete, but that is utter bollox. The way that woman behaved was outrageous and if we had a properly written out constitution, I am sure it would have been declared unconstitutional.

You are missing the point. These people are not asking for special treatment. They want to protect what they already have a RIGHT to expect, because it is written into their contracts of employment.

As for your own experience of Equitable Life, didn't members elect to distribute much of the reserve to members, thereby implicitly endorsing the actuaries unsustainable business model?

:iagree:
20 plus years on and still people are suffering the aftermath the old bat might have put the country back on it's feet but she brought most of its people to its knees enough said

Latest posts

Back