Smokers and poultry feathers.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntsman666

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
According to Clive de Bruyn, poultry feathers added to the smoker material produces hydrogen sulphide which he claims calms the bees.

Anyone every try this for when the girls are extra 'narky'?:sifone:

Although I've not tried it, I personally wouldn't want to be upwind of a smoker belching out hydrogen sulphide as it's a poisonous gas that stinks of rotten eggs. :ack2:

stinks of rotten eggs.

No problem. While you can smell the trace concentration, you are OK. It is at higher concentrations that it is fatal in a very short time, leaving severe brain damage at level below the lethal dose. The different levels are probably a factor of a million or more, so smell is not really a measure of toxicity, apart from 'if you can smell it' it is at a safe level.

Unknown origins for 'almond smell' are much more of a warning. If you get to the door (fresh air), it was nitro-benzene; if not, it was cyanide.

RAB

Have you smelled (smelt?)burning poultry feathers?

I don't think Bruyn was talking about burning only feathers.

If using corrugated paper, perhaps a few flight/tail feathers trapped vertically as it's rolled might do the trick.

"Unknown origins for 'almond smell' are much more of a warning. If you get to the door (fresh air), it was nitro-benzene; if not, it was cyanide."

or the missus has smashed a bottle of Amaretto!!!!

Latest posts

Back