Should I be worried about this cell?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandyjet62

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

Inspected our hive yesterday and came across this.

We were quite pleased to see our new foundation being drawn and a big patch of eggs laying in the cells. Loads of bees carrying pollen in. Capped and uncapped lava and large queen scurrying from frame to frame. Then we noticed the cell in the photo. There was a big lava curled up in the cell but I dont think it was lying in jelly. The cell is on the face of the comb, it is the only one but as you can see is very longbut it is horizonal. (at the moment) As these are our first bees (only bought the nuc Thursday night) we need to be clear on why this cell is there. Our nuc had 4 full frames of brood (mostly capped) and one newish frame that was being worked on. Since they have been in the hive they are working on the new foundation as well.
All input welcome.

Hi jenkinsbrynmair,

I would'nt dream of correcting you!.............I just dont know!
this was our first proper look at our bees and as we are still at the "look at pictures in the books" stage, We are a little concerned that it may be something out of the norm. As it seems that everything else is ok and this is the only "abnormality" we need to hear some re-assurance from someone who knows.

It looks like a queen cup to me...I say this because to me the cell seems to extend quite far back into the comb. Do drone cells go that deep?

Could they have started this as they were beginning to get cramped conditions?

Someone with more knowledge and better eyes than me will be along in a minute,
all the best,
Sam

Last edited:
Hi RoseCottage,

Thats what I was wondering. It doesnt follow the pattern of "the Books" though!
were they going to make a queen then changed their minds? Was the Nuc at the point where it was full and thats why a newish fram had been added?

As i said...a little concerned. But the queen was running around the third frame and as she has laid in the new comb..doesnt seem to have a problem.

Hi jenkinsbrynmair,

I would'nt dream of correcting you!.............I just dont know!
this was our first proper look at our bees and as we are still at the "look at pictures in the books" stage, We are a little concerned that it may be something out of the norm. As it seems that everything else is ok and this is the only "abnormality" we need to hear some re-assurance from someone who knows.

I'm at the same knowledge stage as you so awaiting someone else to add a post to this (I like being corrected, it means I've learn something new - should mean I know a lot by now LOL!)
Transferred my bees to their hive on Sunday, four full frames and the fifth already fully drawn. waiting for some decent weather to inspect again now.

Unfortunately bees tend not to read books...As above it is either a drone cell or a queen cup, but even if it is a queen cup don't panic!

Bee's often change their minds, and next time you look it is quite likely to have disappeared. They may decide that now they have moved it is not needed. Sorry I can't help more - I need new glasses...Good Luck though, the are fascinating little beasties!

Thanks Queens59,

This nuc id an overwintered one and so a seemingly strong colony. 4 frames have old comb and all full or nearly full with a newish frame added as the 5th. I was wondering if they had been on the point of swarming and thatswhy the newish frame was added. since being hived, all frames have been worked on and a good patch of eggs with lost of lava. I assume they'll sort themselves out but it would be nice to know whats going on.

I would say it is a drone cell that is in the process of being capped, remember queen cells and cups are generally orientated virtically in the hive, worker and drone cells are generally orientated horizontally. Look again in a day or two and i'm sure it will be a capped drone cell.

C B

If in doubt leave it, mark the frame and inspect again 2-3 days later, but to me its just an odd shaped cell at this stage and nothing to panic about.

I would say its a drone but im my opinion if in doubt rub it out as you say current queen is good and laying strong.

The fact that you have just rehived should remove swarm procedure for now .

I cannot be sure if it is drone or cup but suspect a cup as it is singular.

I hived a five brood frame nuc as I was unable to find a purchaser that week and they were producing swarm cells, ie there were grubs in the cups.

A week later they were on 7 frames of brood and the cells had been removed.

Enjoy your bees. :)

PH

Sandy - don't panic. If it's a queen cup, it's probably not an ominous sign. They do this - 'play cells' , if you will. Welcome - good luck!

Our current queen ( I reckon she's new as green madge has gone :( ) is laying lots of this type of thing along the tops and bottoms of frames and that is drone. They look exactly the same, only there are lots. Mentor is considering requeening, we're going to keep an eye on things.

Latest posts

Back