Have i killed the Queen ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullframe45

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 --5.
I think i may have made a very big mistake with being in too much of a rush. I have a Q- hive that i know is a definate. Today i united via the newspaper method with a spare laying older queen that i had in a 6 frame nuc with eggs and some cap brood. However in the Q- hive i did see a lot of new Queen Cells and few capped. I was taking several down ,but before i could finish i was called away on an emergency and just had to leave them with the laying Queen in the top box. I may be able to go back later but am thinking this will be too late ,I did manage to give them a good blast of air freshner and had to just leave them. What should i do ?

I’d go back and ensure you’ve removed all queen cells in the qless section.
Leaving them with developed cells can cause issues. They may rip down when united but it’s a chance I would not take unnecessarily.

Thanks Ian,managed to get back to the said hive ,Bees were not very happy but thats understandable. Destroyed all Q cells i could find ,another blast of Air Freshener and ill leave em now for a few days see what happens.

Back