Sale Prices

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROACHMAN

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
50+
I need to buy load of hive parts in the sales

Im comparing prices between Maisemore and Thornes.

Am I correct in thinking that Maisemore include VAT but Thornes dont ??

It makes quite a difference (well 20% actually):confused:

It is illegal not to include the vat in the advertised price.

For items on display that is correct, but for other formats (internet listings, etc.) I think you will find it is not Illegal.

RAB

Splitting hairs

ONLY £9.99 + VAT looks cheaper to some than ONLY £11.99 !

am I ALLOWED to make that comparison?

Splitting hairs

ONLY £9.99 + VAT looks cheaper to some than ONLY £11.99 !

am I ALLOWED to make that comparison?

:iagree:

Not splitting hairs at all the price you see sould be the price you pay

It is illegal not to include the vat in the advertised price.

For items on display that is correct, but for other formats (internet listings, etc.) I think you will find it is not Illegal.

RAB

Wrong - it is misleading to advertise ex-VAT prices to the general public, irrespective of the medium used.

A retailer CAN display ex-VAT prices but these must be as prominent (and not more so) than inc. VAT prices (font size, type face etc) - I think the term TS use is "equal prominence".

If however businesses are the target audience, then the advertiser can legitimately quote only VAT exclusive prices.

Thornes sale prices always include VAT.

"Th**nes sale prices always include VAT."

although one does always seem to end up spending 20% more than expected!!!!!

I ran out of cash on the day before space in the car (see sale posts passim).

Ma*semore order processed this morning.

From all of this I realise the phrase,

"Sticking to a budget"

Has no meaning to you. ;)

PH

Wrong - it is misleading to advertise ex-VAT prices to the general public, irrespective of the medium used.

From HMRC on the web:

Prices in retail shops
Prices advertised to the public in ordinary retail shops include VAT. No tax will be added to the price when you pay. This is a legal requirement.
(my underlining)

The Internet is not regarded as a normal shop, as yet. The above refers to items the public can go in and buy.

As an internet purchaser you are using a service to obtain your goods and as such, the listings can include or exclude VAT. One reason for this is that the internet is international and the items do not necessarily attract VAT to the purchase price. All items in the Th*rne shop will have the VAT inclusive price clearly shown.

You may think it misleading, but it is not wrong. That is why Th*rne sale prices always include VAT. They are carefully conforming to the law.

"The Internet is not regarded as a normal shop, as yet. The above refers to items the public can go in and buy."

Wrong again: as an internet retailer myself, selling mostly to the public but also to trade and overseas, I had a visit from TS a few years ago asking me to change my prices so they were all VAT inclusive - the conversation was all very pleasant, but it was obvious that they were "doing the rounds" at the time.

I was told that not to do so, whilst factually correct, was potentially misleading.

This was confirmed at the time by my local VAT office, and also by my father in law who is a VAT inspector.

Wrong again

Lets get this straight . Is it legal or not?

I say it is. You are simply flanelling around, now saying it is misleading, but 'factually correct'

Stop sitting on the fence and sniping. Say one thing or the other.

Wrong again

Lets get this straight . Is it legal or not?

I say it is. You are simply flanelling around, now saying it is misleading, but 'factually correct'

Stop sitting on the fence and sniping. Say one thing or the other.

Seems DorsetB is speaking from experience and you are speaking from assumption...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/BeginnersGuideToTax/VAT/DG_190918

Extract from above site. Thornes will probaly deem beekeepers to be Trade. (If you sell the honey then you are trading)

Prices in advertisements, catalogues and price lists

Products advertised in outlets, magazines, on the internet, or shown in catalogues, price lists and other literature may be aimed at the consumer, businesses, or both. If they're only meant for the general public, they'll show you a price including VAT. This is a legal requirement.

If they're aimed at both consumers and businesses, they’ll usually show a VAT inclusive price, but may also show a price without VAT. The VAT inclusive price must be given equal importance, but read carefully to make absolutely certain you understand what price you'll pay.

Prices aimed only at businesses are usually shown with no VAT included. VAT will be charged on top of the price shown.

"The Internet is not regarded as a normal shop, as yet."

"As an internet purchaser you are using a service to obtain your goods and as such, the listings can include or exclude VAT. One reason for this is that the internet is international and the items do not necessarily attract VAT to the purchase price. "

First of all, where on earth do you get this utter piffle from???

In addition to my previous comments, are you not aware that we in the UK also have to pay VAT at the UK rate to overseas websites when purchasing (for example) downloadable software?

Secondly, I was not sniping, I was relating factual information to hopefully rectify the misleading information you had posted, and yes, something CAN be factually correct but mentioned or printed in a misleading way.

Furthermore, what I have stated is verifiable on the HMRC site:

"Prices in advertisements, catalogues and price lists

Products advertised in outlets, magazines, on the internet, or shown in catalogues, price lists and other literature may be aimed at the consumer, businesses, or both. If they're only meant for the general public, they'll show you a price including VAT. This is a legal requirement.

If they're aimed at both consumers and businesses, they will usually show a VAT inclusive price, but may also show a price without VAT. The VAT inclusive price must be given equal importance, but read carefully to make absolutely certain you understand what price you'll pay.

Prices aimed only at businesses are usually shown with no VAT included. VAT will be charged on top of the price shown."

From http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/basics.htm

I see Flatters beat me to it (well done Flatters!) but you now have two verifiable sources & URLs to prove you wrong.

I didn't want to post any more regarding the matter, but it seems you actually *want* to have your nose rubbed in it.

So having been hoisted by your own petard, or dug yourself into a hole six foot deep, or wandered up Sh!t Creek without a paddle, you now humiliate yourself further by asking for "proof" of something you could have looked up yourself prior to posting, and try to "prove" you are right by pretending to being offended as other have dared to question your "authority".

I'd like to know, O 90 O, what gives you the right to act as though this forum was your personal domain: when I first posted on here, I was slightly shocked at the way you took over my entire question and the subsequent thread. It would appear that "no thread shall pass" (or most anyway) unless you have stomped all over it with your size 12 boots in order to validate it, and I have seen you repeat this behaviour many times since.

I don't know whether you are simply a post whore, an attenton seeker, have some misplaced superiority complex, or some other problem, but you single-handedly and regularly manage to regularly trash the bonhomie of this forum with apparent gusto.

I also don't know how you are allowed to get away not with the things you say, but the way you say them - granted this is a forum, and granted communication on forums is well-known to be "different", yet you manage to come over most of the time as brash, patronising, sneering, and mocking, in varied measures. It is also very obvious from your posts in this thread that you can dish it out, but just can't take it in return.

I have no doubt whatsoever that you are a talented beekeeper, as many of your posts will testify, but I also have to wonder at the number of beginners you have frightened away, or who are frightened of posting in anticipation of your responses.

I am not sure who the moderators of this forum are, and I don't know whether you might be friends with them, or whether they turn a blind eye to your antics because of your knowledge of beekeeping, or whether you just have pictures of them with a donkey, but there are times when the "ignore" key is not enough.

I don't intend to post any further on this thread regarding this matter, and I suggest that you try and do the same: I imagine an apology is way beyond your remit and character.

With apologies to the OP for highjacking his thread.

So, after that load of ---- and undignified waffle, we can all take it that Th*rne are perfectly legal with their prices. End of story really. Some may get misled but others may be sharp enough to check out the ex or incl VAT prices.

Latest posts

Back