Rhodedendruos

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtit

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello. I am moving house and not allowed to keep poultry or live stock in the garden (this includes bees). I have re-sited my 8 hives in a 14 acre apple orchard. Rhododendrons are well established in the area. I have read that the flowers can produce poisonous honey if the plant is of the poisonous type. My dilemma is identifying poisonous/non poisonous Rhododendrons.

As far as I know the poison in rhodedendrons is in the leaves just like laurel but im no expert.

Hello. I am moving house and not allowed to keep poultry or live stock in the garden (this includes bees). I have re-sited my 8 hives in a 14 acre apple orchard. Rhododendrons are well established in the area. I have read that the flowers can produce poisonous honey if the plant is of the poisonous type. My dilemma is identifying poisonous/non poisonous Rhododendrons.

Hi tomtit,
I have plenty of Rods in my neighbourhood, but have never seen a bee on them. Personally, I would not worry as I think this is an occasion when they do know what they are doing! Well, done for finding somewhere to resite your hives. Hope you have a good season when it starts.

I have not seen proof of this. I have heard beekeepers say that it is the purple one that grows like a weed, ponticum, that is poisonous, and I cut the one in my garden down, but afterwards, I was sorry. I had cut it down before I was sure.

Honey made from rhodedendrons is quite toxic, to quote wikipedia

" People have been known to become ill from eating honey made by bees feeding on rhododendron and azalea flowers. Xenophon described the odd behavior of Greek soldiers after having consumed honey in a village surrounded by Rhododendron ponticum during the march of the Ten Thousand in 401 BC. Pompey's soldiers reportedly suffered lethal casualties following the consumption of honey made from Rhododendron deliberately left behind by Pontic forces in 67 BC during the Third Mithridatic War."

I'd imagine if there aren't too many and there's plenty of other forage, it's probably not going to be an issue.

Edit: It also names the specific types.

"Later, it was recognized that honey resulting from these plants has a slightly hallucinogenic and laxative effect.[27] The suspect rhododendrons are Rhododendron ponticum and Rhododendron luteum (formerly Azalea pontica), both found in northern Asia Minor."

th

They say it is the nectar from the flowers that is poisonous.... but they are closely related to laurels, which have extra floral nectaries. Do rhododendrons have them too?

Thank you for all the replies.One thing less to worry about.

Later, it was recognized that honey resulting from these plants has a slightly hallucinogenic and laxative effect.
That conjures up quite an image - tripping out of yer head and not being quite sure whether you've really got the squits or not ...

LJ

Latest posts

Back