Remaining frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
In the spring what is done with the stores left over that have been treated with thymol syrup and apigard, Are they just left for the bees or removed over a period marked up and disposed of?

Last year I used mine when I made some nucs. I don't know whether it was the right thing to do but it helped the nucs and they ate the stores and used the comb for brood.

In the spring what is done with the stores left over that have been treated with thymol syrup and apigard, Are they just left for the bees or removed over a period marked up and disposed of?

depends on what point in spring - if when you first open up there is little forage around then they will probably use up those stores when ther step up a gear brood raising. No need to make a decision until you see the brood nest expanding and a likelihood of having to put on a super to make space - you then need to get the 'tainted' stores off before they shift it up into the supers. You should then just take all the remaining stores off and keep them tucked away in a bee proof container - they can be used later on to supplement stores on light hives, making up nucs or be put back on the hives in the autumn.

The above is the classic book advice and to a point is correct but...

I found that there was a tendency for them to ferment over time and that the bees objected to that.

I wait until the colony is getting stronger but not at super point and bruise the cappings to give the bees access and they hoover it up and make room for the queen to expand.

PH

Stores cappings are pretty obvious once you are looking at brood frames. Have a look on line for examples.

I thought we were discussing brood frames not super.

http://powerpictures.crystalgraphic...mes_apis_mellifera_aka_western_european_honey

If you look at the three pics in the middle to top one has white cappings at the top and yellowish/brown cappings lower down. The former is stores, the latter is capped worker brood.

PH

Stores cappings are pretty obvious once you are looking at brood frames. Have a look on line for examples.

I thought we were discussing brood frames not super.

http://powerpictures.crystalgraphic...mes_apis_mellifera_aka_western_european_honey

If you look at the three pics in the middle to top one has white cappings at the top and yellowish/brown cappings lower down. The former is stores, the latter is capped worker brood.

PH

Are there any difference between sugar syrup capping and new honey I don't want to throw out their new stuff

at the moment there is brood and super on there I'm using brood and a half both hives and they pretty much filled most of both before winter with syrup and yes the moving of the syrup up the hive as mentioned above was my concern contaminating the new honey when it starts coming in.

Are there any difference between sugar syrup capping and new honey I don't want to throw out their new stuff

good chance they'll mix everything up - it's hard judging it but if there's plenty of room for brooding and there's some stores left, just bruise and they will use that to rear brood and little forage out there. If you bruise stores in the brood box and you have a super on - good chance they will move it up to make room.

Latest posts

Back