Broodless

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I did a final inspection today with the purpose of 1) removing the Apivar strips and also 2) reducing the colonies to a single brood box each, if feasible.

Part 1 was achieved and Part 2 was achieved on two of the four colonies. The other two had such full Upper BBs that I simply left them on for winter feed.

All four colonies seemed well populated with bees, well-stocked with stores and in each I found the queen running about. The really noticeable thing, however, was that none of them had any brood at all, not a cell.

Is this normal? I know that there is often a broodless period over mid-winter. My understanding is that it is usually at the end of December. But mid November? Is it linked to the varoa strips? Should I be concerned?

As it happens, I used the broodlessness as an opportunity to vape each colony with OA.

I did a final inspection today with the purpose of 1) removing the Apivar strips and also 2) reducing the colonies to a single brood box each, if feasible.

Part 1 was achieved and Part 2 was achieved on two of the four colonies. The other two had such full Upper BBs that I simply left them on for winter feed.

All four colonies seemed well populated with bees, well-stocked with stores and in each I found the queen running about. The really noticeable thing, however, was that none of them had any brood at all, not a cell.

Is this normal? I know that there is often a broodless period over mid-winter. My understanding is that it is usually at the end of December. But mid November? Is it linked to the varoa strips? Should I be concerned?

As it happens, I used the broodlessness as an opportunity to vape each colony with OA.
Apparently brood raising comes and goes somewhat over the colder months. There was a discussion on here a while back about it. At this time of year in the UK, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see no brood (I've seen it here in our March). Equally I suppose, I wouldn't be surprised to see some in one colony and none at all in another. Anyhow, at least you couldn't have chilled any brood and you've also added to the collection of personal experiences that make up beekeeping. Looking is great if it is combined with seeing :)

Definitely not - most people stopped fiddling with the bees a loooong time ago
Not at one BKA according to the apiary report.
“Weather permitting a colony inspection will be carried out in early November and supplementary feeding will be given if required but suspect that this has been a good year for ivy.”

“Weather permitting a colony inspection will be carried out in early November and supplementary feeding will be given if required but suspect that this has been a good year for ivy.”
It’s a teaching apiary, I assume the inspection will be used to show beginners the status of a colony in the start of the winter. I’m sure they won’t be suggesting inspection at this time is the norm.

It was 14 degrees C. Remarkably mild.

My question wasn’t ‘should I have inspected?’ It was ‘was what I found unusual?’

Thanks for those that replied to it.

You

As it happens, I used the broodlessness as an opportunity to vape each colony with Apparently brood raising comes and goes somewhat over the colder months. There was a discussion on here a while back about it. At this time of year in the UK, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see no brood (I've seen it here in our March). Equally I suppose, I wouldn't be surprised to see some in one colony and none at all in another. Anyhow, at least you couldn't have chilled any brood and you've also added to the collection of personal experiences that make up beekeeping. Looking is great if it is combined with seeing :)
Bump! Lovely positive comment, I wonder how many of us have looked in on winter colony’s for training/ educational purposes.
As soon as the winter solstice has pasted queens will start up laying again sounds normal to me @Beedogg .

Edit @Antipodes your quote above also

dunno - but I suppose every circus has a clown
Clowns hopefully ! It would be a bit of a boring circus if there was only one .

I’m not saying it’s a good thing inspecting this time of year and I wouldn’t recommend it but I have done before if I’m a clown so be it , if the conditions are right and there’s a reason whether that’s educational or not .

In one of the older NHS lectures I recall that the researcher found brodlessness more likely in Nov rather than December. Can't recall which video, sorry
I think Ratnieks mentioned that a few times in talks he gave plugging his hygienic 'queens' (the ones that all got foulbrood)

a) winter preparations are usually finished a lot earlier than mid November
b) inspection now will disturb bees and take time to repair brood seals
c) Its still very warm for a brood break (IMO)
d) you can tell a lot from debris on the OMF inserts
e) too late to do much about it, so leave them to get on with it

If the temperature for you was 14C (as it was here), then although the bees might not have liked the hive being opened, it might not have done much harm. Broodlessness occurs at different times and isn't just about low temperatures. I sometimes find lots of colonies broodless in late summer. As has been said, there's not much you can do about anything you find at this time of year - except that you took the chance to vape because they were broodless.

Depends what they mean by inspection, I would suggest they mean a quick stores check, but ........😀

In one of the older NHS lectures I recall that the researcher found brodlessness more likely in Nov rather than December. Can't recall which video, sorry

I've seen that one too I think. As far as I recall the main topic of the lecture relates to how having brood over winter helps the bees with thermoregulation.

James

A teaching apiary is a different animal from a production unit.
but the bees are the same animals.
Opening up the hives to 'teach' beginners, or for any other reason, but especially for beginners, at this time of the years is just bad practice and just 'teaching' beginners that it is fine to do so.

but the bees are the same animals.
Opening up the hives to 'teach' beginners, or for any other reason, but especially for beginners, at this time of the years is just bad practice and just 'teaching' beginners that it is fine to do so.
I agree but the apiary is being used for a different purpose and I would agree that opening hives at this time of year generally is bad practice but how would a beginner know what is happening in a hive without being shown. Should they rely on the word of a "master beekeeper"?
We all know that its better to be shown something than to blindly accept what someone says.
You have experience and know what YOU do at this time of year. Are you saying you know best and your opinion should not be challenged?

You have experience and know what YOU do at this time of year. Are you saying you know best and your opinion should not be challenged?
I believe that only a fool (for educational purposes or not) would open up a hive at this time of the year and only a fool would defend the practice
being a 'teaching apiary' is no excuse

Latest posts

Back