Pure Amm, the value

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jarmo henttu

House Bee
Reaction score
I read that Ireland has the most pure Amm bees on globe.
I read too, that Ireland has average yield 10 kg per hive.

I just wonder that kind of breeding.

Bit like the re-introduction of the (blue)black passport in the UK following Brexit. One can be so very smug with having the 'right' colour that they fail to see the other failings associated with it :LOL: :LOL:

Bit like the re-introduction of the (blue)black passport in the UK following Brexit. One can be so very smug with having the 'right' colour that they fail to see the other failings associated with it :LOL: :LOL:
How dare you imply that Brexit has been anything but a roaring success:eek:

We could have stayed in the EU and still had blue/black passports!

No...20Kg
https://www.teagasc.ie/rural-econom...rsification/bee-keeping-and-honey-production/

The 10kg is what the BBKA say is the English average
https://www.****.org.uk/faqs/honey-faqs#:~:text=How%20Much%20Honey%20Can%20One,gold%20to%20pay%20their%20taxes. (replace the asterisks with bbka)
This figure requires a bit of clarification;

On the one hand , from the FIBKA website;

''Honey yield is greatly influenced by seasonality. However, a beekeeper who attends to the basic principles of management should be able to achieve an average of 20kg per hive per annum.

The yields obtained at the Teagasc Beekeeping Research Station at Clonroche, County Wexford confirm this view. The yield from 75 colonies managed commercially at Clonroche has been 25 kg per colony per annum. This has been achieved by working to a planned programme of management and disease control.''

This figure of 20kg is aspirational and assumes the beekeeper is diligent and competent . The second figure of 25kg was achieved at a government research station and is not representative of the national picture ,for obvious reasons.

On the other hand the national bee census for 2019 probably paints a more accurate picture;

''Total honey production in 2019 is 258 tonnes, representing a 71% increase from the 2016 census. This increase is partly due to the increase in the number of bee colonies but is also due to higher honey output per hive. Average honey output per full hive rose from 8.5 kg in 2016 to 11.4 kg in 2019.''

The full census is here; file:///C:/Users/ms/Downloads/130944_94accd3e-aa87-4de6-9ce0-ddce1013c5c6%20(2).pdf

From my experience, I would consider the average per annum honey yield/per hive to be comparable with the BBKA figure of 10kg.

I, myself would have yields of 35kg to 70kg/ hive , depending on the year, with maybe an average of 50kg/annum. This would be with minimal feeding.

As regards the type of bee??? I think I'll grab a seat.

''Honey yield is greatly influenced by seasonality. However, a beekeeper who attends to the basic principles of management should be able to achieve an average of 20kg per hive per annum.

The yields obtained at the Teagasc Beekeeping Research Station at Clonroche, County Wexford confirm this view. The yield from 75 colonies managed commercially at Clonroche has been 25 kg per colony per annum. This has been achieved by working to a planned programme of management and disease control.''

This figure of 20kg is aspirational and assumes the beekeeper is diligent and competent . The second figure of 25kg was achieved at a government research station and is not representative of the national picture ,for obvious reasons.

On the other hand the national bee census for 2019 probably paints a more accurate picture;

''Total honey production in 2019 is 258 tonnes, representing a 71% increase from the 2016 census. This increase is partly due to the increase in the number of bee colonies but is also due to higher honey output per hive. Average honey output per full hive rose from 8.5 kg in 2016 to 11.4 kg in 2019.''

The full census is here; file:///C:/Users/ms/Downloads/130944_94accd3e-aa87-4de6-9ce0-ddce1013c5c6%20(2).pdf

From my experience, I would consider the average per annum honey yield/per hive to be comparable with the BBKA figure of 10kg.

I, myself would have yields of 35kg to 70kg/ hive , depending on the year, with maybe an average of 50kg/annum. This would be with minimal feeding.

Thanks for that.
A point that Finman hasn’t grasped is that it’s about keeping and protecting an indigenous bee.

20kg is less than two national supers of honey which would be a terrible yield for the entire season. Averages will bring the number right down. A decent beekeeper should expect a much higher yield than average number.

Yields do vary and last year I only ended up with two viable production colonies after my two DLQ colonies and two CBPV's. Those remaining two did very well and between them produced a 178kg harvest , spring was especially good.

I am just grabbing my popcorn, my favourite drink, sit back and watch the thread unfolding.....😂
More like screwing up than unfolding - if past experience is anything to go by. I'll just nip down and oil the hinges on the door of the cupboard under the stairs !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back