Protective Suits - recommendations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sit in awe you lot i was propery trained by my mum and i mean properly.......by the time all my family wre 15 we all had to be able to sew and not just buttons but the shirt to put them on first, i can also tailer dresses as well

i cant knitt but mum forgave me this

Well done Pete........why not? It's deplorable how stuff like that is no longer taught in schools to even the girls.

and lastly and most importantly for a lady i never ever leave the seat up. mum was good at potty training,
This is the most important one............

and yes he can use a sewing machine and video recorder

I just meant at the same time.......you sometimes need both hands for sewing

Frisbee

My wife can do anything with a needle except sew :leaving:

John Wilkinson

I have also got a BB Astronaut suit. Material is exellent but the only gripe i have is with the quality of the stitching. It is weak on some of the pocket velcro (pulled off so need to re-sew it) and the stitching in the bottom of the side leg pocket has gone. I kept wondering why my Hive tool was on the floor until i realised i had a hole in my pocket - Dear Liza, Dear Liza. :banghead:

It may be a rogue one but is anoying after paying £70 3 months ago!!!!

It sounds like quality control from Bee-Basic could be a little hit and miss at times.
I must of been lucky with mine.
Although being nylon and catching the leg on a Blackberry bush I tore a hole in the leg as the material is very thin.

Anyone got a sherriff suite that can give some feedback?

Aren't BB wear and Bee Basic different suppliers ?

It sounds like quality control from Bee-Basic could be a little hit and miss at times.
I must of been lucky with mine.
Although being nylon and catching the leg on a Blackberry bush I tore a hole in the leg as the material is very thin.

Anyone got a sherriff suite that can give some feedback?

I have a sheriff full suit, 5 years old, been washed scores of times still in as new condition . I wash it in the machine but the hood/veil is washed on a delicates cycle, separately .
John Wilkinson

I can fully recommend the beekeepers overalls with bulge collar ( a bit like a horse collar) and then use the combined hat and veil. the veil hooks over the bulge collar,is bee-proof, and is really comfortable in use, even on a hot day. the suit is well made in cotton, and washes well in an automatic machine. I purchased mine from national bee supplies. i also have the 2 - piece suit, with built in veil, but not as comfortable to wear.

I have a useful smock incorporating hat and veil from Stamfordham.

http://www.stamfordham.biz/Autumn 2009 catalogue.pdf

It's useful to chuck on over your head if you're just popping up to change the Apiguard or stick some more FeedBee on, especially if you only have one hive as I do at the moment. When I had seven I used to put on a full suit as I was around the hives for a lot longer.
I notice from the catalogue that Stamfordham, long-time champions of the Dartington Long Deep Hive, now have only a rather terse note about their inability to supply any more Dartington stuff. It appears that the love affair is over. Just goes to show, you really can't make an Omlet without breaking eggs.

Steve J.

Thanks all, I'm busy researching (Non-White (tick); BB astronaut and Sherriff seem to be getting votes)

.... I mean I am waiting with anticipation to see what father Christmas brings and whether my wife will have mislaid money to an equal monetary value in the lead up to Christmas.

:cheers2:

I suggest you try before you buy if possible.

I find the polycotton more comfortable than the cotton and also cooler on those very hot days we have oop north.

For my own bees, 4 colonies I normally use a Thorne's occasional jacket and veil, which even the bees could spit through if they chose to, but it is convenient.
I also have a Bee Basic fencer type cotton suit. I purchased it mid March and use it extensively two days a week.
Mostly it is washed almost weekly (sometimes once a fortnight) to remove sticky deposits, wax, propolis and sweat. The wash varies between 30 and 40 degrees C with a combination of washing powder and washing soda.
The fabric is soft and heavy. In summer it is very hot.
The soft fabric has on occasions collected a lot of stings around the legs, looking like Desperate Dan's chin. This has been remarked upon. Poly Cotton suits seem not to suffer the same problem.
I like the Velcro fastenings on the wrists although the velcro has torn away (frayed) from the stitching at those points. Inspection a few minutes ago shows one of the patches to be connected by one edge only and the other has finally failed in the wash. (find the houswife - sewing kit - time).
The zip on the veil is fairly light and was a source of some concern, but has given no problems whatsoever.
The veil mesh is constructed of mono-filaments and I have had some damage from either a hive tool or brambles. On some other veils the mesh is a more complex weave from thinner fibres that I think would be less susceptable to a "splitting" type of damage.
Sting proof - In a T-shirt and thin trousers, a bad day with angry bees has seen me taking stings to the body on occasion and to the inner arms and inner thighs (squatting) more frequently. That is not to say that most don't get through, merely that several do.
At around £70 I feel that I got value for money, but will be looking for a more capable replacement suit next year. I had to telephone to establish how to remove the veil for washing and found the help to be courteous and to the point. The two zip heads need to be together and come off the left hand end of the track. Replacement procedure is the reverse.
The pockets are not ideally situated, but then gloved hands are likely to be sticky and so of limited use. The suit has no pocket for a hive tool, but then I think putting a sharp hive tool in a pocket is a recipe for disaster anyway. I feel that a tool should be in one of three places: the hand, on a roof or in the washing soda bucket.
I will be thinking carefully before my next suit purchase, which will probably be polycotton, might be Sherriff and won't be white.
So now you know. :) I've had a busy season two days a week, so feel qualified to opine on the quality of my suit which has been put to a rigorous test regime including squash, sandwich spread and chocolate stains.

I would like to be able to find a source of those long sleeved string vests that used to be issued to RAF firemen. This would give a bit of stand off of the suit from the body and potentially be a bit cooler than a T-shirt in summer. Any one know of a 'regular' supplier?

I started with a white polycotton boiler suit and a sherriff vest/fencer type hood. Although battered and stained it is still going strong after 29 years. I have since added a Sherriff all in one (Sunday best) and a Sherriff smock (swarm collection and quick visits. All are white but my next one wont be:)
:cheers2: Mike

MJ how do you get on regards the Euro rate if you want something like a Sherriff suite,do you mail order or do you buy when visiting uk

Both Admin - however the exchange rate at the moment makes French kit very expensive and Ryanair's baggage allowance is pathetic so I.m snookered both ways:)
Mike
PS Sorry didn't answer your question - Mail order I use a sterling credit card to get round the exchange rate.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back