Getting back on the bike..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of weeks ago I decided to carry out my first full inspections of the year. First Hive no drama, but during the second inspection I noticed too late that I had a rip in my veil and a hood full of angry bees.
It all happened fairly quickly, I received 14 stings to the face and neck and it hurt a lot. With swarm season fast approaching I need to get back on the bike and carry out some more inspections, but I'm finding my nerves have been shot and I'm having to walk away from the hives.
The suit's repaired and I know I'm mostly safe from more stings, but the irrational fear is ahead of calm common sense at the moment and I'm not sure how to proceed.

Have you faced something similar? What did you do?

Hi Beagle, i did my first tree swarm collection last year, and made a complete hash of it, 20ft+ up, they had started to make comb amongst the branches, so they were quite unhappy about being disturbed, was only in a smock with hood + my normal short nitriles, because had read swarms are calm!!

got about 6+ stings while getting them out, mainly on my wrist and fingers as the gloves ripped on the branches!! there may have been more on the fingers as think some got stung more than once.

And just to add a bit of spice, on the way down the ladder i dropped the Nuc? so had very angry bees to greet me at the bottom!!
not sure how many stings on the ankles, i got a few on my legs and one got me in the ear, it waited until i took my hood off to attack.

I am quite lucky as don't react much to stings, as SWMBO would say, no sense no feeling. But the one in the ear was unpleasant and kept me awake for a few nights.

It was our first full year and so doing our bees a few days later, was quite pensive and started to overthink it, had to remind my self that the bees are just insects reacting to stimulus, and my own piss poor actions had not helped matters.

My other half did some of the inspection so that helped.
When i get a sting, i take it that the bees are giving me a reminder, to be a better beekeeper. whether its to keep better bees, or be calm and considerate when inspecting.

If you can get someone to be there, to watch/help, a problem shared is a problem halved :)
I hope you get your confidence back with the bees.

Last edited:
What a great thread. Enjoyed hearing the stories. Most people learning and improving. I hope these cautionary tales have bouyed the OP....best wishes Beagle...

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

double check your suit and veil before you start,go gently and use 2 cover cloths you confidence will return,with the cover cloths if you feel panicky you just pull cloth over and walk away,looking at 1 frame top of bees much better than 10 /11 frames,my thoughts are that after so many stings you are still interested,my record is 26 to head after a square metal mesh veil disitegrated 20 years ago,chin up and keep going

After having a colony of really dangerous attackers, I started to use two veils. One is the chest mesh type described above. This goes under the ventilated suit (no hood on that - it tore and I got invaded ouch). Over that goes a Sherriff handy hood with elastic from rear, through legs to ring at front. Visibility better than you might expect. Gauntlets always. High wellington boots and nitrile gloves over cotton/kevlar/similar gloves.
I know there are those who talk about sensitivity with the bees being lost, but well clothed I can take my time and move through things gently.

Start out by figuring out what you *need* to do each time and only do that for the first few times. Don't go tearing through the whole brood nest unless you really have to, until your confidence is back.

Also have an exit strategy ready in your mind. Eg "If things go tits up, I'll put this back, close up, grab smoker and leave." Nothing fancy, just to help you feel calmer and more confident.

We're in a windy spot, so I've started using an old fire blanket and some tea towels to cover supers and brood boxes while doing big inspections and it's really made a difference to how the bees react to the intrusion! The fire blanket is great as it's smooth, so no bees get caught in it, tea towels less so.

Get a good suit and look after it, one of the ventilated ones are excellent for protection while keeping you cool, nothing worse than having a sweat on when you're already sweating ;)

Start out by figuring out what you *need* to do each time and only do that for the first few times. Don't go tearing through the whole brood nest unless you really have to, until your confidence is back.

Also have an exit strategy ready in your mind. Eg "If things go tits up, I'll put this back, close up, grab smoker and leave." Nothing fancy, just to help you feel calmer and more confident.

We're in a windy spot, so I've started using an old fire blanket and some tea towels to cover supers and brood boxes while doing big inspections and it's really made a difference to how the bees react to the intrusion! The fire blanket is great as it's smooth, so no bees get caught in it, tea towels less so.

Great tips/advice. :nature-smiley-011:

I find it interesting that no one has suggested changing to a known gentle strain.

Quiet bees are a joy to work with.

PH

Because in order to carry out any further procedure, he has to open the hive first. ;)

Thanks again to everyone for the words of encouragement. I'm back on the bike

Excellent stuff!
Had a scare myself this year - a bad reaction to a sting on the back of my head. Lots of hives and stuff going on. It made me very nervous at the next inspection. Took a sting to a finger and had no reaction and my confidence grew a great deal. I hope you get through this and have a successful Summer.

Back