Protective Suits - recommendations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a plain white jacket with vail that came with the hive pack from Thornes, it is reasonably thick material and the vail is kept well away from your face by the brim on the hat, the pockets are useless though, everything falls out when you lean forward, as for trousers I wear an old pair of snowboard trousers, only had one attempt at being stung, it didn't get through :sifone:

I for one wish now I hadn't bought a white suit.

Question? I am in the USA and we only have white suits here, but in Europe there are colors. I thought it was because of the material that was being used only came in non-white, but now I believe I am mistaken. Why do you wish you hadn't gotten the white?

Because white gets dirty so easily. Suits get bits of mold on them which I cant seem to get rid of.

You can't wash out mould.......it's more noticeable on a white suit that's all, on the pale green or pale brown which are now available.........or I believe even camouflage, the marks are nowhere near as obvious. Also dressed all in white you stick out on the landscape and in these days of vandalism and theft, keeping quiet about where your hives are is a good idea.

Frisbee

Frisbee's observation on security is a sad but valid consideration, white is now definately kicked into the long grass, unfortunately you'll still be able to see it. That new suit of mine may well be made out of stealth cloth with X2 spy plane contouring to the shoulders and elbows to reduce my radar image!

Because white gets dirty so easily. Suits get bits of mold on them which I cant seem to get rid of.

Well that makes sense in Europe since you don't have Africanized bees. I used to be able to work my bees in shorts and a t-shirt but not anymore. Now the bees come up to meet me when the lid is open and start bouncing off the veil.

There is someone on Ebay that sells a pink an black suit.

Sherriff do suits in different colours

White
Khaki
Mushroom/latte
Aqua/turquoise
Dayglo orange
powder blue

:cheers2:

I may dye my white one a different colour.

Yes, I was impressed with beebasic for a biscuit coloured all in one. Price and quality good - quality seems very good. My other was a white jacket from Thornes - more expensive, fewer useful pockets and with elastic at the wrists rather than zips. thornes one was harder to guarantee no gaps without alteration because the gathered sleeves/wrists were quite loose on me. I prefer non-white just so as I don't stand out so much, nor any marks!
bee basic came with a nice set of washing instructions which I have now lost. If anyone can share them that would be great!
T

Sherriff do suits in different colours

I may dyed my white one a different colour.

I dyed my white one the other month, forest green. Looks much better (does not show the stains that even bleach does not remove) + I now blend into the country side.

I have a bee basic fencer type olive colored for the price i cant fault it but would buy a moderbeekiping one if they did it in other colours bought my son one very impressed with cost and quality

My first bee suit was an atomic submariners white overall :laughing-smiley-004.
Dust proof let alone bee proof . All external pockets velcroed . no side slits to give access to trouser pockets . Velcroed wrist bands and ankle bands !

£8 from Beeston Cattle market .
Handed it down to my missus when I invested in a pukka one . I still haven't recovered from the shock of handing over so much hard earned coin to Brian Sheriff .

John Wilkinson

I splashed out on a Sherrif all in one fencing mask suit and it has been fantastic except...... I have been stung twice on the right ear through the hood.

I do not know if they got me through the cloth on each occasion but I suspect I had turned my head a tiny bit too far and had my ear resting up against the netting, particularly as the sting stayed in my earlobe and I can't see that it would have clung in there after being pulled through the weave of the cloth.

I've just begun to get a slight anaphylactic type reaction to stings ( see 'just back from the doctor' thread') so I now wear a woollen hat underneath which covers my ears.

Shouldn't have to really, after spending all that dosh, but the rest of the suit is magic and I trust it completely.

IMHO the cloth panel on the Sherrif fencing mask should come further round to the front of the hood to prevent this from happening, peripheral vision is not an issue in a beesuit, but getting stung through the veil even though you are wearing it correctly certainly is.

I splashed out on a Sherrif all in one fencing mask suit and it has been fantastic except...... I have been stung twice on the right ear through the hood.

I do not know if they got me through the cloth on each occasion but I suspect I had turned my head a tiny bit too far and had my ear resting up against the netting, particularly as the sting stayed in my earlobe and I can't see that it would have clung in there after being pulled through the weave of the cloth.

I've just begun to get a slight anaphylactic type reaction to stings ( see 'just back from the doctor' thread') so I now wear a woollen hat underneath which covers my ears.

Shouldn't have to really, after spending all that dosh, but the rest of the suit is magic and I trust it completely.

IMHO the cloth panel on the Sherrif fencing mask should come further round to the front of the hood to prevent this from happening, peripheral vision is not an issue in a beesuit, but getting stung through the veil even though you are wearing it correctly certainly is.

same exprience, same sting location! same solution, probably same sweaty head? Also disappointed but in fairness I was also stung on the forhead where my old radial veil hood contactd my head. Py your money, make your choice :nopity:

Latest posts

Back