Propolis removal?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Last edited:
I have put propolis all over the kitchen lino and it's not coming off. I have tried boiling water (spread it), petrol, white spirit...

A solution to removing propolis from lino would be very much appreciated. 3 years of scrubbing or trying usual recommended solutions such as caustic soda/washing soda/propanol/acetone/methylated spirits etc and the marks are still there.
Only solution I can see is buy new lino!

I will warm up some propolis and for the sake of the forum ............. drum roll....

Contaminate myself!

PH

I scraped propolis from a couple of brood frames and warmed it on top of the wood burner. It was hot enough to sting when I rubbed it on my fingers.

Then I sprayed my hand and rubbed my fingers together and most of it came off, the rest vanished when I used soap to wash my hands.

So there you go a product that certainly appears to remove propolis.

PH

Attachments

• DSCF2297[1].jpg
    DSCF2297[1].jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF2298[1].jpg
    DSCF2298[1].jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF2301[1].jpg
    DSCF2301[1].jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF2302[1].jpg
    DSCF2302[1].jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 35
Just took in some pine logs and inevitably got sap on my hands.

The guys that did the clean up on our new orangery left us with some cans of this product: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wurth-0893...330688&sr=8-1&keywords=wurth+industry+cleaner

It has with one squirt removed the resin from my fingers. I will scrape some propolis and warm it up to do an experiment but it's looking very promising.

PH

Upvc cleaner that the fitters used on our door really took my breath away.

More than likely yes. It is manufactured for removing sticky residues from PVC

PH

And wax?

I've got some splashes from candle making on textured porcelain floor tiles. Would love to get them off.

I doubt it as a very different substance.

I suppose you want a test done for you?

PH

If this one substance works for a number of things: fantastic!
Otherwise, I've often wondered that no-one - as far as I know -produces a rack/kit of solvents you can buy for the whole range of sticky labels etc etc that can't be removed by anything you can lay your hands on.

Might you consider a new sideline PH???

Tried it on some wax splashes and nope, no joy there.

PH

Latest posts

Back