Oxalic acid mask

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snap Millet!

Though I now have all the PPE gear....my 220-240 volt Vaporiser from Russia(with love) seems to have got lost somewhere on route and is at the bottom of some pile of undelivered parcels...my girls will just have to wait for their New Years vape.

Attachments

• mask.jpg
    mask.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 36
I bought this a few weeks ago for using the Vap and it works a treat..

I have one of those for the shed, (works well against wood dust).

Hope you have the correct filters in yours???

It has two particulate filters , , , , , used but in good condition..

You also need a "New" (Non exposed) Vapour Filter.
See section 8 of the MSDS?

:banghead:
That's why I find the good old "electric spoon" to be the best.
+ it delivers the vapour direct to the centre of the hive.

How can you be sure these mickey mouse devices don't produce a nice visible (Highly Toxic) cloud of vapour that sublimes back to crystal before it has chance to reach the intended target?

Last edited:
You also need a "New" (Non exposed) Vapour Filter.
See section 8 of the MSDS?

:banghead:
That's why I find the good old "electric spoon" to be the best.
+ it delivers the vapour direct to the centre of the hive.

How can you be sure these mickey mouse devices don't produce a nice visible (Highly Toxic) cloud of vapour that sublimes back to crystal before it has chance to reach the intended target?

For one because you can be pretty sure whatever decice you use the Oxalic acid does not sublimate at all, it boils an evaporates. Crystalizing pretty much the second it leaves the heat source. The crystals however are so tiny they remain airborne for quite some time.
Think about it, what do you think would happen to your bees if a mass of vapour at sublimation temps hit them ?

So, define sublimation???????????????

[/QUOTE]

sublimation
[sŭb′lə-mā′shən]
The process of changing from a solid to a gas without passing through an intermediate liquid phase

Any fool knows that, well, most of them :D

You could fit clear crown boards and see for yourself or you can judge by the results.
The results are looking quite good so the mickey mouse device looks more like a bit of innovation to me.

QQ ... so I bought one of these ..

3M 4255 Maintenance Free Half Mask FFA2P3 - Reliable protection against organic and inorganic vapours, acid gas and particulate, R P3 D Filters - £18.35 on amazon)

So is the advice .. to return this and get a 6000 series mask and filters ?

can I bump this question .... ever the indecisive libran ... I have this new mask BNIB

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-4255-Maintenance-Free-FFA2P3/dp/B004OYQ4LC

Is this ok ... or are people saying I need something more ..

Also can I get away with a goatee beard ? (genuine question)

For a winter Oxalic Acid treatment and for a beekeeper with just a couple of hives; it is worth considering whether it is preferable to trickle rather than vape. Trickling is just about as effective, is measurably safer, much cheaper and quick.

No need for expensive ppe, a battery, a battery charger and a heater on a stick.

I've had no probs with my goatee. Just don't let it extend much beyond bottom of chin so mask fits behind it. Easy to check their is a seal by blocking filtres and breathing in.

had a good shave and tested it out at the weekend and the mask i have doesn't sit behind the goatee bit ... but did my best

still living to tell the tale of the gasvap anyway !

Latest posts

Back