is my sieve/strainer too fine ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives
I got one of these last year to replace one I melted original one in the oven during a '40 degree heat become 140 degree heat episode'

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B3NCZ7M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Farm & Ranch Bee Tools Stainless Steel Double Honey Filter Strainer Honey Sieve Beekeeping Equipment
by Farm & Ranch

the coarse sieve is quite coarse but the 2nd filter is soooo fine that the honey takes for ever to pass thru ... even when its been in a warmer and I end up stiring the heavy honey fraction that gets caught in the filter

did I get a bad sieve ?

what is your recommend one ?

If you’re using under the extractor then I’d say yes the fine filter would cause a bottle neck. However if using on Honey that’s been warmed with a view to filtering into a settling tank then no, your filter shouldn’t be an issue. On liquid we use a 200 micron strainer.

I use the same as above. Are you melting enough to remove crystals?

I use the same strainer but I have a coarse filter to take out the larger lumps of wax after extraction, then let it settle overnight and the double strainer does the rest. I find I have to scrape the finer wax out of the strainer fairly regularly though.

I use the cheapo nylon double strainer. The extractor has a nice coarse sieve and the cheapo does the rest. Usually goes through okay but another fine sieve would help on the times it gets a bit clogged.

I use the same one, but as I don't sell honey I only use the coarse filter in order to keep all the other good stuff (legs, wings and things) in the finished product.
Seriously though, I find the single filter does a good job on its own.

I got one of these last year to replace one I melted original one in the oven during a '40 degree heat become 140 degree heat episode'

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B3NCZ7M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the coarse sieve is quite coarse but the 2nd filter is soooo fine that the honey takes for ever to pass thru ... even when its been in a warmer and I end up stiring the heavy honey fraction that gets caught in the filter

did I get a bad sieve ?

what is your recommend one ?

As others, we use the same one with both sieves straight out of the extractor.
We got ours at the Honey show 2 years ago from Simon the Beekeeper, never had a problem with it, the finer one does back up a little but never so it will over flow.
We use a hot air gun to de-cap so don't have any cappings to block it.

Back