Oxalic acid mask

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Common sense is to use precautionary PPE when using hazardous chemicals.

Bet you think wearing hard hats and putting your seat belt on is for the sheep too?

Thanks Beefriendly for posting these respirator components, I purchased the listed items (1, 2 & 3) & vaped 5 hives today, it made it more enjoyable knowing that I was protected from the fumes. Last year I used a P3 disposable mask & held my breath a lot.

If it's any help these are the 2 filters I use with a half mask. The 6059 is fine but is not designated as a particulate filter, you need to add one on top of it.
Its 6059 with a clip on holder holding a P3 particulate filter. They work, although the organic vapour might be overkill.

3m 6000 series half mask reusable respirator 6200 medium or 6300 large
Filter-
1. 3M 6059 ABEK1 Organic Vapour Filters / 6000 SERIes
2. 1 Pair 3M 501 Filter Retainer For Use 5000 6000 7000 Series particulate Filters
3. 3M 5935 / P3 Particulate Filters

Need to be clean shaven for mask to work properly

Yes that is true..what is the point wearing a gas mask if you have pubic hair all over your face.. you simply will not get a air tight seal... i have been on the odd face fit coarse for enclosed spaces and vessel entry over the years and pubic hair growing out of your face needs shaving off..a bit over the top for varroa control but hell yeh.

Thanks Beefriendly for posting these respirator components, I purchased the listed items (1, 2 & 3) & vaped 5 hives today, it made it more enjoyable knowing that I was protected from the fumes. Last year I used a P3 disposable mask & held my breath a lot.

If its of any use to anyone my 6000 series mask came with a set of 501 retainers so shouldn't need to purchase separately; now have a spare set but they were cheap anyway.

I had my respirator issued a few years ago. Did the job CBRN training so guess it can cope with a bit of OA vapour. Yes the filter has been replaced - same grade as original issue

If its of any use to anyone my 6000 series mask came with a set of 501 retainers so shouldn't need to purchase separately; now have a spare set but they were cheap anyway.

QQ ... so I bought one of these ..

3M 4255 Maintenance Free Half Mask FFA2P3 - Reliable protection against organic and inorganic vapours, acid gas and particulate, R P3 D Filters - £18.35 on amazon)

So is the advice .. to return this and get a 6000 series mask and filters ?

I wore CABA firefighting masks for years with a beard - made no difference as long as you cinch it up properly

Fair comment :) I was just talking about ffp3s and the like. I have a face fitted masks for work and not to quote me but the fitter told me that once you have over a few mm of facial hair efficacy drop up to 25% just didn’t want people going out buying one and thinking they were all good to stick there head in the clouds

A good way to tell how well your mask is working is to take a deep breath and blow out while it’s fitted if it steams up Goggles it’s not a good seal.

Maybe over the top as you should still be careful when doing it. Just I know some people see ppe as an invincibility cloak they should still be respectful

Latest posts

Back