Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

steve1958 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
I have been offered a site in a fairly large field.
Good access.
Secure,
Watersupply,
Room for several Hives
BUT
Power lines
Hence the reason for no one else wanting to use the field me thinks.

Has anyone any experience of siting Bees near these.
bee-smillie

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
Have had apiaries pretty much under powerlines and not an issue that I could see.

A bit of a chestnut this one.

PH

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
None of my own
On a similar note, the recent FT magazine article on the London Stock Exchange CEO keeping bees in France stated something like the first rule of beekeeping is not to approach the hive with a mobile phone - referring to the phone's signals confusing the bees. News to me though I did manage to destroy a phone by kneeling on it so possibly not that bad an idea, and I'm sure many will take them in case of emergency anyway.

Anyone heard of this theory before?

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
More than a hundred...Langstroth Jumbo
i have an apiary very close to powerlines without any noticeable effect.
Would nt want them directly underneath as routine maintainance could be affected( To the power lines...)

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Are these, say,3 phase at 440V, 3.3kV, 33kV or 410kV. A considerable difference here of the induced magnetic and electrostatic fields.

RAB

Storm™ 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
RAB

I say this in total honesty and sincerity. Your brilliant. I love your posts. Someone asks a question. Someone answers it with pfffffffff and with total authority and you come along with specific facts and knowledge. Brilliant. It's called credability. And you have it in spades.

Damp days - a big strip light straight out of the box - walk over to the field with it and the rest of the science class and stand under the power lines as they hum and crackle. And watch amazed as the strip light flickers on.

Does this effect bees. No idea but it does have an effect. My advice go with your initial gut feeling. If it feels wrong and you are reluctant to try. Then don't. Then the problem goes away simple.

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Thanks, Storm.

It's what comes with a lifetime of learning. I did have a good basic start though - an inquisitive mind.

I had the wheel out of my first bike on Christmas morning before Mum and Dad were up, as the tyre was flat and it would not pump up. I was five at the time.

Regards, RAB

roche 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Are these, say,3 phase at 440V, 3.3kV, 33kV or 410kV. A considerable difference here of the induced magnetic and electrostatic fields.

RAB
As a non-paying member of "Pedants Anonymous":
The induced magnetic field depends on the current flowing through the line, not the voltage of the line...

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Err. Magnetic, yes. Electrostatic, no - voltage dependant.

But remember, this is A/C so the electrons will be changing direction at the frequency of the supply.....

RAB

roche 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
No, no, Pedants anonymous exists to help people recover from pedantry, the Ancient and Venerable Society of Unnamed Protagonists of Pedantry exists to aid practicing pedants improve their art...

roche 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
As a non-paying member of "Pedants Anonymous":
The induced magnetic field depends on the current flowing through the line, not the voltage of the line...
Agree re electric field (but not electrostatic as field not static - darn, it's the pedant in me coming out again)

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
8x Langstroth, a few Lang nucs,1x TBH, and about 17 mating mini nucs
If I remember my electricity and electromagnetism, the faster you move a conductor in an electromagnetic field, the larger the induced current..

So bees carrying a length of barbed wire at the speeds they travel at would be an issue..#

Once a pedant, always a f###ing pedant.There is no known cure. So any Society to Preserve Pedants is superfluous.

(how's that for pedantry?)

# as would flying round in circles with a piece of wire...

Last edited:

roche 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Once a pedant, always a f###ing pedant.There is no known cure. So any Society to Preserve Pedants is superfluous.

(how's that for pedantry?)
Blown away in a puff of predicate logic

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
Well I answered the question from experience. One year I had some 40 hives, more or less as I said under the power lines, and I could see no difference in the crop of OSR.

I don't think I said anything uncomplimentary but I do remember there were trials over this issue and they said much as my experience said, it made no odds hence my chest nut comment?

Surely fair enough? If not then we are saying that practical experience counts for jack and I will stop annoying folks.

PH

iball 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Place a very large coil of wire under the overhead wires, prior to siting the hives and you'll be able to run some electric heaters in the winter.

wilderness 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 + 1 nucs
Surely experience counts far more than theory when dealing with living creatures?

"'Near' is likely OK. 'Close' would not be."

RAB what is your evidence for the above and can you define Near and Close in terms of distance in meters :D

roche 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I would have thought your practical experience counts for rather more than any amount of hypotheses.

Latest posts