Overhead power lines

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve1958

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Electric_transmission_lines.jpg

I have been offered a site in a fairly large field.
Good access.
Secure,
Watersupply,
Room for several Hives
BUT
Power lines
Hence the reason for no one else wanting to use the field me thinks.

Has anyone any experience of siting Bees near these.
bee-smillie

Have had apiaries pretty much under powerlines and not an issue that I could see.

A bit of a chestnut this one.

PH

On a similar note, the recent FT magazine article on the London Stock Exchange CEO keeping bees in France stated something like the first rule of beekeeping is not to approach the hive with a mobile phone - referring to the phone's signals confusing the bees. News to me though I did manage to destroy a phone by kneeling on it so possibly not that bad an idea, and I'm sure many will take them in case of emergency anyway.

Anyone heard of this theory before?

i have an apiary very close to powerlines without any noticeable effect.
Would nt want them directly underneath as routine maintainance could be affected( To the power lines...)

Are these, say,3 phase at 440V, 3.3kV, 33kV or 410kV. A considerable difference here of the induced magnetic and electrostatic fields.

RAB

RAB

I say this in total honesty and sincerity. Your brilliant. I love your posts. Someone asks a question. Someone answers it with pfffffffff and with total authority and you come along with specific facts and knowledge. Brilliant. It's called credability. And you have it in spades.

Damp days - a big strip light straight out of the box - walk over to the field with it and the rest of the science class and stand under the power lines as they hum and crackle. And watch amazed as the strip light flickers on.

Does this effect bees. No idea but it does have an effect. My advice go with your initial gut feeling. If it feels wrong and you are reluctant to try. Then don't. Then the problem goes away simple.

Thanks, Storm.

It's what comes with a lifetime of learning. I did have a good basic start though - an inquisitive mind.

I had the wheel out of my first bike on Christmas morning before Mum and Dad were up, as the tyre was flat and it would not pump up. I was five at the time.

Regards, RAB

Are these, say,3 phase at 440V, 3.3kV, 33kV or 410kV. A considerable difference here of the induced magnetic and electrostatic fields.

RAB

As a non-paying member of "Pedants Anonymous":
The induced magnetic field depends on the current flowing through the line, not the voltage of the line...

Err. Magnetic, yes. Electrostatic, no - voltage dependant.

But remember, this is A/C so the electrons will be changing direction at the frequency of the supply.....

RAB

No, no, Pedants anonymous exists to help people recover from pedantry, the Ancient and Venerable Society of Unnamed Protagonists of Pedantry exists to aid practicing pedants improve their art...

As a non-paying member of "Pedants Anonymous":
The induced magnetic field depends on the current flowing through the line, not the voltage of the line...
Agree re electric field (but not electrostatic as field not static - darn, it's the pedant in me coming out again)

If I remember my electricity and electromagnetism, the faster you move a conductor in an electromagnetic field, the larger the induced current..

So bees carrying a length of barbed wire at the speeds they travel at would be an issue..#

Once a pedant, always a f###ing pedant.There is no known cure. So any Society to Preserve Pedants is superfluous.

(how's that for pedantry?)

# as would flying round in circles with a piece of wire...

Last edited:
Well I answered the question from experience. One year I had some 40 hives, more or less as I said under the power lines, and I could see no difference in the crop of OSR.

I don't think I said anything uncomplimentary but I do remember there were trials over this issue and they said much as my experience said, it made no odds hence my chest nut comment?

Surely fair enough? If not then we are saying that practical experience counts for jack and I will stop annoying folks.

PH

Place a very large coil of wire under the overhead wires, prior to siting the hives and you'll be able to run some electric heaters in the winter.

Surely experience counts far more than theory when dealing with living creatures?

"'Near' is likely OK. 'Close' would not be."

RAB what is your evidence for the above and can you define Near and Close in terms of distance in meters :D

Back