Oxalic pan vape

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossbyjove

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
ONE
Advice needed from the hive mind please.
I have read some posts about people using car charger /jump start/power pack devices to power their Oxalic vape pans rather than carting a 12 volt battery around.
I like the idea of not so much weight !
Saw something in Halfords with an air compressor as well.
Will that do the job.
What exactly are people using ?
Cheers.

A "charger" will not do. A power pack will have a battery in it. The right battery for you depends on your needs and budget.
The more hives you want to treat the bigger the battery the higher the cost.
A small inexpensive motorcycle 12v battery or mobility scooter or house alarm battery will do quite a few vapes on one charge and is not heavy to cart around. You can get the very small, light and expensive Lithium starter packs if your budget allows.
There's been a few posts on this topic recently...
See page 2 Post in thread 'Oxalic acid' Oxalic acid
K ;)

Last edited:
My jump starter does about six hives. Each hive needs 2-3 'burns': each burn lasts about a minute then I press the button again for a repeat to ensure that all the crystals have sublimated.

Attachments

• E4CDA3BB-76AF-4FF6-8D82-270EA62C438C.jpeg
    E4CDA3BB-76AF-4FF6-8D82-270EA62C438C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I use a heavy car battery. It's ok in a wheelbarrow though with all the other bits n bobs.

I have a 40AmpHour Yuasa battery bought s/h in 2015 after the Metro it was in was scrapped. The battery was 2 years old then: now 10years.
It vapes 15 hives at a time without difficulty.
I recharge it the start of every quarter (and after use) to ensure it is kept in good condition. (If left alone, the plates degrade over time).
It weighs approx 14kg and I usually use a lightweight wheelbarrow to move between hives. The barrow also holds other bits and pieces needed.

We use Yuasa batteries in our cars: approx 10 years life.
Tanya.co.uk supply very cheaply on line ( Half Halford's price)

Tanya.co.uk supply very cheaply on line ( Half Halford's price)
not very hard to better Halfords prices.
I'm lucky I have a motor factors not too far away and, as our huntsman has had an account there for years, and one of the directors lives locally, if I phone in an order before 11 AM it's delivered to Phil's door (only five minutes away) by mid afternoon, or if it's a late order, by 10AM the following day

Advice needed from the hive mind please.
I have read some posts about people using car charger /jump start/power pack devices to power their Oxalic vape pans rather than carting a 12 volt battery around.
I like the idea of not so much weight !
Saw something in Halfords with an air compressor as well.
Will that do the job.
What exactly are people using ?
Cheers.
OK guys thanks for the advice.
Only got two hives at the moment.
So the wheelbarrow is the winner !

Latest posts

Back