new to bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pataw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
hi to all, I'm from Malta and I'm new to bee keeping....my main aim is to have fun and give a tiny help to bee population :)

Bees are just fascinating and i feel sorry seeing a decline without any worries, furthermore importation of other alien honey bees species in Malta from other countries is interfering with our Maltese honeybee.

pataw

Maltese bees and tons of local honey!

Welcome to the Forum,
I spend three months every year in Malta but on all my excursions and walks over all parts of your Island I have never seen any bee hives!
I am a regular reader of the Times of Malta and am aware of both the importation of bees and the sales of imported honey branded as Maltese.
All my best wishes in your new venture, I hope you find it a worthwhile hobby.
Trevor

hi Trevor, actually i have never seen them myself.

Moreover, i have been trying to get different bee keepers to help me get started but here in Malta it seemed that it is a protected secret......there is always an excuse!! The honey fetches a fairly good price so maybe that is the reason, however lately i have been able to meet some interesting people, most of them having more than 10 hives but are still unwilling to help me with 1 simple nuc ;( ... one of the also boasted that he caught 9 swarms this year.....but cannot spare one ha ha. Anyway ... a good soul should provide me with 2 this week :)

Unfortunately the government is not interested and even closed the apiary in such a way that the present director referred to a swarm of bees as pests and needed controlling. At the moment there is a petition here in Malta going around.....maybe the Italian importer helped also in my quest for getting to know some people :)

As for you being in Malta.....if you will have the pleasure to see some hives in Malta we can meet up some time you are around.

hi Trevor, actually i have never seen them myself.

Moreover, i have been trying to get different bee keepers to help me get started but here in Malta it seemed that it is a protected secret......there is always an excuse!! The honey fetches a fairly good price so maybe that is the reason, however lately i have been able to meet some interesting people, most of them having more than 10 hives but are still unwilling to help me with 1 simple nuc ;( ... one of the also boasted that he caught 9 swarms this year.....but cannot spare one ha ha. Anyway ... a good soul should provide me with 2 this week

Unfortunately the government is not interested and even closed the apiary in such a way that the present director referred to a swarm of bees as pests and needed controlling. At the moment there is a petition here in Malta going around.....maybe the Italian importer helped also in my quest for getting to know some people

As for you being in Malta.....if you will have the pleasure to see some hives in Malta we can meet up some time you are around.

Latest posts

Back