Hive Monitoring - Surprising winter data

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd the sensor is not in the cluster, then all you are measuring is the poor quality insulation properties of your hive.

I don't know where you come up with the notion that fetral colonies live in suboptimal conditions. Studies have shown a swarm makes the right decisions on potential homes in excess of 95% of the time.
So I assume over 95% of the bees caught in swarm traps made from uninsulated wood are making the right decision???

Yes, they look for a suitable cavity. It's easy enough to test a theory, set your bait hives out in pairs, wood and poly and see what happens.

I can't imagine bees have any real test of insulation available to them; maybe some assessment of wall thickness, and whether it is hotter inside than out in sunshine indicating poor insulation, but nothing else.

I can't imagine bees have any real test of insulation available to them; maybe some assessment of wall thickness, and whether it is hotter inside than out in sunshine indicating poor insulation, but nothing else.
Nah, they quickly find the warmest* spot in their cavity to build their nest.
*Warmest = most insulated

Nah, they quickly find the warmest* spot in their cavity to build their nest.
*Warmest = most insulated
Yes, but then they have a heat source (ie the mass of bees) so just find th warmest area - that doesn't apply to scouts with just a few bees present.

Yes, but then they have a heat source (ie the mass of bees) so just find th warmest area - that doesn't apply to scouts with just a few bees present.
Doesn't it? Don't scout bees search a cavity minutely and spend quite some time there doing so? Aren't bees quite sensitive to temperature?

Reactions: mbc
Doesn't it? Don't scout bees search a cavity minutely and spend quite some time there doing so? Aren't bees quite sensitive to temperature?
Absolutely to both!
However unless they have a significant heat source (eg a large mass of bees) how could they judge insulation? A really well insulated cavity will be the same temperature inside and out without a heat source.

Absolutely to both!
However unless they have a significant heat source (eg a large mass of bees) how could they judge insulation? A really well insulated cavity will be the same temperature inside and out without a heat source.
If a cavity is in sunlight, will not a well insulated cavity stay cool inside while a thin walled box will heat up inside? If yes, scouts could distinguish.

I saw this yesterday in the grounds of the University of Galway. That’s the way to build a swarm trap. No way to get any honey though

Attachments

• 65F3F096-060C-4D94-A46C-F59D8AE702BB.jpeg
    65F3F096-060C-4D94-A46C-F59D8AE702BB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back