🐝 Revolutionizing Beekeeping: BeeMotion's Winter Hive Solution 🌡️

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I started my first company I chose a small "private" bank because they had a good reputation for customer service. The business was sold some time later to another similar bank who were equally good. Sadly that bank then got bought out by Santander, who eventually merged the newly-acquired accounts into their utterly horrible internet banking system. It's still utterly horrible.

Not long after the purchase I was informed that they were moving to two-factor authentication and would send a text message with a passcode to my mobile phone to confirm my login (sometimes) and every transaction I set up. When I phoned them to point out that I work from home and have no mobile reception I received the auditory equivalent of a blank look. They'd actually not considered the possibility at all and had absolutely no answer as to what I could do when they enabled it.

James
I listened to their CEO Paul White on Radio 4 a couple of weeks ago telling everyone how well he ensures his staff are looked after ... pity they don't look after their long standing customers as well. As soon as my new mortgage is in place I'm leaving them to it ...

A heater element underneath a mesh floor really?
If you look closer, the element is under the mesh and the wooden batons facing out comprise of 3 and not 4 to fully enclose it. Although I don't think the open end is an entrance because the sensor and heater controller is also underneath. It also looks like the connector for a battery is protruding through the wood.

Last edited:
The OP is showing as USA. I get a mental picture of a travelling snake oil salesman in the old west just using modern technology instead of a horse drawn wagon.

Interesting, this same post showed up on another forum I belong to and the flag from where the poster came from was listed as Morocco. They had the same name of this poster.

🔬 By using temperature and humidity sensors, Beemotion ensures the well-being of bees while eliminating the need for pesticides. 🌿
And, as on the other forum, this is where they lost me. If, and it is a BIG if, the warmer helps bees live thru winter that would be one thing, but to then claim that it eliminates the need for pesticides????

I live in a very cold place. In the winter the bees do not easily die if they are 1) disease free, 2) varroa free, 3) well stocked with stores, and 4) proper winter insulation is applied.

Three years and 100% survival of my 3 hives. Not a big thing I know and there is plenty of time for me to succumb to 100% winter losses but IMO most winter losses from the cold are probably due to the lack of one of the 4 conditions I listed.

There is a possibility that the OP could be one of the startup inventors. For the 'It eliminates the need for pesticides', quote may point towards varroa and raising the temperature to 40°C to interfere with the brood cycle of varroa.

What do you use?
2.5" thick rigid styrofoam insulation. I make panels and screw them to the outside of my hives. The hives are homebuilt, not meant to move and are made of 2.5" thick lumber. I put a 10" deep box on the top and fill it with styrofoam insulation and then a down pillow, so I have 10" of upper insulation.

The bees do great even in -40C, they come thru the winter with strong clusters.

I would be hesitant to use a heater in my hives, IMO when the outside temps. are very cold and the bees are unable to go out for cleansing flights for months at a time, a too warm interior allows them to consume more stores. This increases their need to defecate which they will not be able to do in our cold climate. A tight cluster is desirable in winter IMHO.

2.5" thick rigid styrofoam insulation. I make panels and screw them to the outside of my hives. The hives are homebuilt, not meant to move and are made of 2.5" thick lumber. I put a 10" deep box on the top and fill it with styrofoam insulation and then a down pillow, so I have 10" of upper insulation.

I would be hesitant to use a heater in my hives, IMO when the outside temps. are very cold and the bees are unable to go out for cleansing flights for months at a time, a too warm interior allows them to consume more stores. This increases their need to defecate which they will not be able to do in our cold climate. A tight cluster is desirable in winter IMHO.
I do wonder if raising the temperature too high would encourage the bees to fly when it is really too cold outside. After all we are warned to shade the front of hives when there is snow on the ground and it's sunny when the bees are attracted to the light and chill and fall to the ground and are lost. I lived in the North East of Scotland and have seen this, Insulation is great but I personally wouldn't go as far as heating them.

Interesting! 2.5" lumber will give a lot of insulation even before the added stuff. @pargyle reminds us that in 1977 W Bielby in Home Honey Production wrote 'Insulated hives reduce the rate of loss of heat, food consumption, respiration, the amount of H2O produced by the bees, the amount of condensation and, finally, the need for ventilation. ... Hives should be highly insulated and completely draughtproof.'

Sounds like your hives are a demonstration of the truth of this.

If you are raising the Temperature to 40º aren't the bees going to starve raising all that brood? Are you talking about doing this when the bees are foraging?

If you are raising the Temperature to 40º aren't the bees going to starve raising all that brood? Are you talking about doing this when the bees are foraging?
As this is a startup company with very little info. I can only speculate as to what the intentions of this devise is. But information from other products is already out in the open, a prime example of this is the thermosolar hive. It says it has the capability to increase honey production and kill varroa without chemicals, along with other applications. The blurb I've read for this product intimates the same.

Sounds like your hives are a demonstration of the truth of this.
I didn't use the 2.5" thick lumber for any particular purpose. I was new to beekeeping, wanted a Ukrainian style hive and used what was at hand in the junk pile.

But it did work out well and these hives are perfect for my geographical zone. Plus, I am not in the honey making business so have no desire to move the hives. Portability was not an issue.

Latest posts

Back