New EU honey labelling rules.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's awful Goran...those prices for real natural Honey are ridiculously low. Its not getting any easier for you is it ? Our thoughts and good wishes are always with you, let's hope this new EU legislation helps you a bit but I suspect you are not optimistic on past performance of the EU.
EU is such a mess.. Politely said I am deeply disappointed. I expect nothing good in anything.. Only, I can be further pressed to wall and also abandon all and go abroad as hundreds of thousands from Croatia in recent years, cause corruption here is unbearable to those who wants only to work and not involve into any politics ( You have to be " connected" if You want to prosper)..

I don’t think the target market paying 75p for a jar of honey really care where it’s sourced from (or even what it actually is).
Yes, I understand these are not our customers - someone paying 75p just want something sweet to squeeze on cereal or bread. People paying £5 or £6 a jar want real honey and believe it is worth paying for.

Honestly Goran, I'm not sure it's really anything particularly to do with the EU in this case. It's pretty crazy here too. To be fair I've never been sure that anyone who wants power should be trusted with it, but I've never felt so much disgust nor contempt for those in power as I have over the last five years. It's reached the point where some of the politicians who were once considered part of the "loony fringe" of either the left or the right now often appear to be the voices of sanity. Even today one MP faces a ban from Parliament for being corrupt whilst another who has already been suspended for sexual misconduct and bullying will find out this week if he is to lose his seat completely. And these aren't the only cases there have been over the last few years.

Were it not for the need to get children through the next few years until they can stand on their own two feet and to be available to help parents who are struggling with health issues I'm not sure I'd still be here (assuming there was anywhere I felt might actually be any better that would have me).

James

Honestly Goran, I'm not sure it's really anything particularly to do with the EU in this case. It's pretty crazy here too. To be fair I've never been sure that anyone who wants power should be trusted with it, but I've never felt so much disgust nor contempt for those in power as I have over the last five years. It's reached the point where some of the politicians who were once considered part of the "loony fringe" of either the left or the right now often appear to be the voices of sanity. Even today one MP faces a ban from Parliament for being corrupt whilst another who has already been suspended for sexual misconduct and bullying will find out this week if he is to lose his seat completely. And these aren't the only cases there have been over the last few years.

Were it not for the need to get children through the next few years until they can stand on their own two feet and to be available to help parents who are struggling with health issues I'm not sure I'd still be here (assuming there was anywhere I felt might actually be any better that would have me).

James

https://www.croatiapropertysales.com/croatia-vis-building-land-for-sale-4009/

James
In our government 30 ministers ( last 7 years) were forced to leave ( mostly to high corruption). When You listen some of them how they speak - I wouldn't leave them to keep 2 painted sheep on the wall as some would say.. One recently sacked said he needed some time to learn to cross the road while he was in USA ( he waited 15-20 minutes to traffic light change a color, didn't know about button)..

In our government 30 ministers ( last 7 years) were forced to leave ( mostly to high corruption)
and in this country, they refuse to leave, or to apologise, stay in government and openly flaunt their corruption in front of us.
same goes for the upper house

I don’t think the target market paying 75p for a jar of honey really care where it’s sourced from (or even what it actually is).
Goes with almost every good amd consumer product I feel except automotive vehicles.

Let's be honest people wafle on about slightest detail and look at JD power reliability surveys and buy countless magazines on cars amd bikes. Everything else including food the majority of the population want as quickly and cheaply as possible are don't stop to think about quality, authenticity and is is healthy and safe.

I don't blame Amazon but I do blame the likes of ebay etc for this trend to a certain extent.

population want as quickly and cheaply as possible ... don't stop to think about quality, authenticity and ... healthy and safe.
do blame the likes of ebay etc for this trend
Too true, except that it was supermarket sales strategy during the last 60 years that is responsible for the cult the majority now follow blindly, without a thought for the wider consequences.

I think this is related to this post

Honey fraud

I think for honey this has been agreed for the EU. As others have noted above if the UK is now seen as having looser regulations.....................

Main elements of the provisional agreement​

Honey​

The provisionally agreed text maintains the proposal's ambition and goals and contains the following elements concerning honey:

• the countries of origin will be indicated on the label in descending order, based on weight; the label will also include the percentage that each country represents in the blend, thereby increasing transparency for consumers
  • member states can decide that the obligation to indicate the percentage on the label only applies to the four largest shares, provided these represent more than 50% of the weight of the blend
  • to ensure flexibility, in the case of packages of less than 30 grams, the names of the countries of origin may be replaced by a two-letter ISO code
  • a platform of experts will support the Commission with developing methods to detect honey adulteration and enhancing controls; this would help combat honey fraud

IIRC, the British Honey Importers and Packers Association response to the EU's proposed update to honey labelling was that it was "over zealous".

Not a particularly helpful public comment IMO
It doesn’t sound like they are particularly worried where they buy their honey from or it’s provenance!

Latest posts

Back