Honey labels

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Someone near me called at my door to say they had got labels printed which have the same name as my honey. I was not in and my husband explained that though I have been keeping bees for nearly 15 years I do not sell my honey so could not see the problem. They seemed to think I should change my name which I have no problem with as soon as I use up all my current honey labels. I do not sell but give as presents to family and friends and only have about 30 jars left anyway..
Sad to think a person near me only calls to complain about a name as it would have been nice to have someone nearby to talk bees with.

Someone near me called at my door to say they had got labels printed which have the same name as my honey. I was not in and my husband explained that though I have been keeping bees for nearly 15 years I do not sell my honey so could not see the problem. They seemed to think I should change my name which I have no problem with as soon as I use up all my current honey labels. I do not sell but give as presents to family and friends and only have about 30 jars left anyway..
Sad to think a person near me only calls to complain about a name as it would have been nice to have someone nearby to talk bees with.
Unless they have it trade marked there is precious little they can do about it ... I'd ignore them and carry on with doing what you've been doing for the last 15 years. They can't even restrict you if it is your actual name you are using or it's a locality based name.

Ahh I know but I am not precious over the name and have no problem with changing it when the labels are done. I just think it would have been nice for the person to be a bit more friendly about it. They are going to sell the honey and fair play to them. Maybe one day I will if I get loads but for now its just a lovely relaxing hobby hahaha. I will think of a new name. I was reading a link about labels and I don't think it matters too much what they are like as people are always wanting to buy the honey but I won't and just give them a jar as am not registered or anything..

Honestly.......I'm reading this and getting angry and offended on your behalf 🤣😂

How rude is that...some people are so entitled!!!
I understand. My husband and son feel the same but honestly I am just sad they didn't call down and say hi I'm keeping bees round here too and have a chat. I honestly don't need to sell my honey and the person was told that but hey what can I say. Good luck to them. I love my beekeeping and refuse to let this affect it. But thank you for your support. Now label names lol!

a person near me only calls to complain about a name
Does this mean they assumed you had copied their name? Very odd. What was special about the name?

You have dealt with this with admirable equinamity, but had you relied on the name to pay your bills, it might have ended differently.

Does this mean they assumed you had copied their name? Very odd. What was special about the name?

You have dealt with this with admirable equinamity, but had you relied on the name to pay your bills, it might have ended differently.
Nothing special about the name - just the area we both live. But life's to short. Maybe different if I have a massive profitable business to worry about.

Since we had our business name trademarked at least six others are using the name.
I've had all sorts of excuses, from "sorry " I wasn't aware, to " you can't trademark two words ".

It cost two grand and a lot of paperwork, and it is bloody infuriating to see others using our name, so I am a little sympathetic with the person that has been copied.

Since we had our business name trademarked at least six others are using the name.
I've had all sorts of excuses, from "sorry " I wasn't aware, to " you can't trademark two words ".

It cost two grand and a lot of paperwork, and it is bloody infuriating to see others using our name, so I am a little sympathetic with the person that has been copied.
It's also bloody lazy and lacking in imagination of them that they couldn't come up with something original for their jars. Super honey, Sweet Dreams honey, Flower Power honey - see it's easy if you have a quick think.

It's also bloody lazy and lacking in imagination of them that they couldn't come up with something original for their jars. Super honey, Sweet Dreams honey, Flower Power honey - see it's easy if you have a quick think.
The most infuriating is the attitude of the BFA, which is supposedly an organisation for its members and to promote beefarming. At least two other members are blatantly using our name, yet when I fetched this to the board the response was, "it is a commercial matter and not for us to address" .
Which to myself means, join, get the yearbook, pick a name you like & start using it.

Ignore them.
Ensure you have a Google business account (whether you consider yourself a business or not).
Link in a free to do website along with Facebook, Instagram and even TikTok along with a blog and You Tube.
All linked and updated.
They will then change their name as all their customers will come to you.
True story.

Someone near me called at my door to say they had got labels printed which have the same name as my honey. [...] They seemed to think I should change my name which I have no problem with as soon as I use up all my current honey labels.
Maybe they should change the name of their honey if they don't like sharing the name. 🫤

It is, after all, the local area name so presumably other local businesses also use it for their produce without problems?

As for them having already paid out for labels, well so have you. Two years' worth I think you previously mentioned.

As I've said before I have been using this name for a while but as I do not sell the honey I will be changing it. No big deal. Yes it must be frustrating if you're paying big money fir a copy right.

Nothing special about the name - just the area we both live. But life's to short. Maybe different if I have a massive profitable business to worry about.
Life may be fleeting but I too am seething for you. Unless the nice people in this word stand up to the "Karens" of this world, society ain't going to get any better. If this individual returns, politely but firmly decline to discuss the matter. As for charging, please do. Donate it to a suitable charity and make a thing about it when customers hand honey over. That person should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. It's bullying.

As I've said before I have been using this name for a while but as I do not sell the honey I will be changing it. No big deal. Yes it must be frustrating if you're paying big money fir a copy right.
personally - especially as they were downright rude in demanding you change yours, I'd be telling them to go and shake themselves

What redress is there in trademark law?
If a name is Trade marked and in the same category the original user of the Trade Mark can issue a cease and desist or bring a case of passing off and get an order requiring you to stop using the name. There have been many famous cases - some justified - some totally spurious !

I put in the blurb on the back of the jar that it's local honey made by bees foraging in the local fields and hedgerows.
Perhaps I can call it hedgerow honey with a small h 😉

If the other person has been using the same name for less time than you then surely etiquette dictates that they should be the ones to change the name. I'm old and grumpy so I'd probably stand my ground or possibly change my label by adding something like "The Real, Only, Best or maybe Original" as a prefix to the name I use. Hahaha

Latest posts

Back