nervous newbee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter168

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
New to Beekeeping, did a course, got a hive etc in autumn, read loads, got a Nuc of bees in June and now feel like I know nothing! Haven't yet join an association/club as first attempts seemed to be difficult for a beginner. Hoping this forum will answer some of those stupid questions I know I will have in moments of panic! Although touch wood all seems good so far.

The search button has hundreds of stupid questions - great reading with a mug and some biccies :D

Welcome and may your insanity prosper :)

Welcome, Peter168!

Enjoy the Forum!

But you speak too soon!
According to lots of misguided people on this Forum, it should be poly hives you should be touching, not wood....

Decisions, decisions.

Dusty

Don't listen to Dusty.. he's admitted he's in a coma (another thread about vaseline and chaps):hairpull:

Make the most of your first year. Fewer bees, new everything, nice straight comb, no holes, everything looks clean, no squashed bees on the rim of the hive, no rotten legs on your stands, no idea how to find the queen but who cares, no idea what you are going to do when they swarm but can think about that next year, lots of things to ask for for Christmas, a smoker with a lid that still opens, a bee suit that is still white, but trust me, after years of keeping them you will still stand at the entrance and watch them just go in and out for hours!
Welcome
E

Make the most of your first year. Fewer bees, new everything, nice straight comb, no holes, everything looks clean, no squashed bees on the rim of the hive, no rotten legs on your stands, no idea how to find the queen but who cares, no idea what you are going to do when they swarm but can think about that next year, lots of things to ask for for Christmas, a smoker with a lid that still opens, a bee suit that is still white, but trust me, after years of keeping them you will still stand at the entrance and watch them just go in and out for hours!
Welcome
E

Not a word of a lie there.

:welcome:

:welcome:

And dont be afraid to ask, regardless of how daft the question sounds. You'll suffer some curt responses but just gloss over them and use the helpfull ones. There are some VERY VERY experienced beeks on here (some appear to have been keeping bees for about 320 years or so.....:icon_204-2:)

Get another hive next year as in my view its better to have two colonies. Join an association, get an experienced mentor, keep learning, dont beat yourself up when you do make a mistake (and you will), but most important of all....

KEEP HAVING FUN....

Good luck.

Welcome and don't ever think you have enough kit I only wanted two hives lol

Welcome to the (fun) madhouse that is beekeeping! There will be lots of lows but far more highs......especially when you extract your first supers full of honey!
As a relative newcomer (my second year so still a newbee compared to most on here) myself I have found almost everyone very helpful and their experience is second to none.
I would say though that you MUST join your local association, get a mentor as these two steps will ensure you are able to get some good advice when you panic when something appears to go pearshaped!
I know that approaching individuals in a society appears as if you are being a nuisance but please persevere, nearly everyone can remember their first steps and most will go out of their way to help. You never know some may turn out to be some of your best friends.
Good luck with your beekeeping and full supers!

Latest posts

Back