More beehives stolen in herefordshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfly

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
scumbag rats are at it again, eight more beehives have been stolen from a orchard by pembridge in Herefordshire between December 18 and January 10

no they were bob and pam Mendys they have used the orchard for the past fifteen years and they had some nicked four years ago as well

Awful!!! So sorry.
I'm sitting looking at some bright yellow spray paint I have for a paynes nuc.
Probably not a good idea, then.

That's bad news ... we had the same in Hampshire around this time of year for the last few years ... awfully sad as it is clearly people who know bees (I hesitate to call them beekeepers ! - More beetakers) that do this. It's not casual crime, it's planned and deliberate and pretty despicable in my book.

But ... with the value of bees - regardless of the hives and frames - the thieves have made an easy £1000+ for a night's thieving if they can find someone to buy them. They will probably end up as Nucs after burning the hives - they'll get an 'overwintered nuc with the queen' and another 'this year's nuc' out of each colony so you are probably looking at even more than a grand - even allowing for the cost of a few plywood nucs.

B....rds !!

I'd lay some "toe poppers" under the next lot.

I have put a lot of time and love into my boxes.The apiary is in a field a few minutes walk from the house. There is a rarely used bridle path at the back so I have a camera pointing at the hives.
It's dreadful that we should have to do this. I agree with pargyle....absolute bastards!!!!

Yep. Break the main colour up with different darker tones in weird shapes, think dazzle camo, and you'll be surprised how even bright colours blend into surroundings.
I saw hives in Turkey lined up along the road and thought how nice it would be to see something similar here. We can dream I suppose :(

Probably a good idea to mark each hive component with a individual security mark scratched on the inside which is not visible easily. Keep a photo of the mark so it can be circulated if the hive is stolen.

Last edited:
Frames are your only slim chance, I once branded every part until I realized what they did lol

Latest posts

Back