7 Beehives Stolen Llandudno

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quad bike and trailer-that should narrow down the suspects somewhat. There can’t be that many of those about. Not a long distance vehicle either.

Plod have wayyy too much violent crime to investigate.
My 2 nephews are both PCs and they are called to stabbings on a daily basis.
A sad reflection on the state of this country I'm afraid 😔
All forces have rural and wildlife crime units attached - sadly, theft of incredibly expensive farm machinery (which never seems to get recovered) by what must be highly organised, well equipped, professional thieves will probably take priority over a few beehives left unattended and without any visible deterrents or security. Ask any farmer what he has had stolen in the last few years. One local farmer had a 1000 litre tank of diesel emptied ... one wonders at what equipment was needed, the audacity and I assume the time it took to transfer the fuel but clearly someone felt it was worhthwhile.

Look at these figures (they are a couple of years old but things have got worse not better).

https://www.nfuonline.com/updates-a...e-up-by-9m-amid-huge-rise-in-machinery-theft/

I would suggest that anyone who has vulnerable out apiaries thinks long and hard about what security and/or deterrents they can put in place to prevent theft. Hive theft is not common but it happens regularly and there are clearly people (I can't bring myself to call them beekeepers) that have the knowledge and ability to carry these thefts out - and it's an easy steal - even in the unlikely event they get caught (and as far as I know nobody HAS been caught) the case is likely to be held in a Magistrates Court and will probably result in a fine or at worst a suspended sentence. Low risk/high value crime - easy pickings and the desire of beekeepers to replace 'lost' colonies after winter and the spate of new beekeepers coming to the craft completes the desirability - a product that is easy to shift if you know how.

We should all be very circumspect about buying colonies where you have no recognisable provenance.

Last edited:
What's with Scotland?
Compare it to Wales for instance....
There are some interesting anomalies in the statistics ...the bigger worry is the Midlands and Eastern Counties who seem to have far more than their share of rural crime in terms of size of area and the increase.

What's with Scotland?
Compare it to Wales for instance....
accessibility - Scotland has far more wholly remote communities too far from any serious infrastructure to take away the booty. compared to Wales where in the North and South/West Wales you have access to Irish ferryports and good road infrastructure.

Hello from Conwy Beekeepers,
Re the hives stolen from two of our members, we've been given these suggestions from North Wales Police Rural Officer...
  1. Camouflage hives as much as possible. Bright colours attract attention.
  2. Think theft prevention – install CCTV or wild life cameras that operate once sensing movement. This is particularly pertinent at isolated apiaries.
  3. Tracking devices are a good idea, if placed inside the hive. Apple Air tags are useful as the phone they are linked to will notify the user if the air tag moves and will provide a tracking signal.
  4. Place clear signage warning of CCTV in operation.
  5. Be careful when posting images of your Apiary on social media, that might give away the location.

We'd welcome any more suggestions.
    Picture shows a couple of intruders! Thanks to Barry Griffiths for the pic.

Attachments

• Mouse 5.jpg
    Mouse 5.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
The simple things like
padlocking all gates and adding gate or fence alarms. Asking nearby homeowners / neighbours to text you / report unusual happenings/vehicles: using CCTV/video surveillance: keeping your equipment out of plain sight so that it's not easily visible or accessible from the road.
Leaving lights on or have them motion-activated, if appropriate.
Signs such as “Beware of Dog”. Geese are also good noise makers when strangers come.
I think there may be some useful ideas hidden away in this link. Some is way OTT but it gave me food for thought.

Latest posts

Back