Just inherited two hives ......Help !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amblik

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
Our neighbour across the park decided to emigrate back home and left two hives which they said I could have. Being that it is this time of year i assumed they were empty, but they are not. Both have thriving, albeit sleepy, colonies alive and well in the hives.
As all the "garden refuse" was to be burnt at the request of the landowner, I have over yesterday and today moved both the hives to our garden.
I did some research, blocked the entrances, used ratchet straps to stop them from coming apart etc etc and using a two-wheeled trolley wrestled them into my garden.
I believe I know have to allow them to "settle" for 72 hours before opening the hive entrance, after which I need to partially block the entrance so that the bees adjust their GPS to the new location ( don't blame me if this is all tosh, I read it on the net !).
Just a couple of questions if you would please ......
Is their any value in the "face hives south west" thing ? They currently face north - I could turn them on their base, but it would make them less accessible.
Is there a minimum distance between hives ? They are currently sat on the same piece of ply about 6" apart, but even I who knows nothing of this subject seems to think this is too close - if it isn't I will be happy as flat ground in my garden is rare as we are on a hill.
The hives had been neglected for at least a year and as far as the owner was concerned there were "no bees in them anymore" ..... well, turns out she was wrong and her loss is my gain (truthfully, been looking into getting bees for some time, just never got around to it - our garden has about 15 different varieties of apple tree spread over it and I'm guessing bees would love it. We also back onto a wood that has a huge bluebell carpet in the springtime).
As they've been neglected, i am figuring that although it is winter, they must be "hank-marvin" ..... how should I go about feeding them, or do I just leave well alone as they got this far without any help ?
I look forward to sharing my new pastime with you all, and as I am a member of other forums (coffee machines and metal detecting) I know what an invaluable resource other members knowledge can be.
Thanks in advance ....
"amblik"

When you moved them how heavy did they feel? Glued to the floor, a wooden box full of very little or somewhere in between?

Apart from receiving two hives, you appear to have no further information about them?
Have they been treated for varroa, if so what with?

It is still very early in the season, so IMO trickle oxalic acid onto the seams of bees. When you do this also check the hives for honey stores, e.g. heft the hives.

Hives are traditionally sighted south or south east and protected from the northerly prevailing winds, so exposure to cold winds is reduced.

Since the ambient temperature is not conducive for the bees to fly, I would remove the blocked entrance you have used the next day and not 72 hours, as you state; this is more applicable in the high season, but you have to give them ventilation.

Hive spacing of 6 feet apart is fine; mine are a hive width apart!

For the warmer weather consider: examine the brood frames: really dark ones should be replaced.
Check the sealed and open brood for signs of disease, also brood pattern.
Check the appearance of the bees present: healthy, deformed?
Look out for varroa and treat if it looks heavily infested; indeed consider performing a shook swarm on both hives, thus starting with a clean slate, so to speak, then treat for varroa.
Liaise with your local beekeeping association for advice and guidence, there is nothing like hand on practical advice.
Good luck.

When you moved them how heavy did they feel? Glued to the floor, a wooden box full of very little or somewhere in between?

These babies are heavy. Glued to the floor is a good approximation.
I have lifted the tops and the upper layer has what appears to be good honeycomb (white and waxy) on all the "leaves" - excuse my terminology, but I will learn as I go.
There are further layers beneath that I've not checked, although one can clearly see a mass of bees below.
So I'm guessing that they are good and happy ????

First congratulations! :party:

secondly, you are still only on the threshold of 'hotel lunatic'. there is still a chance of stepping right back onto sensible street before the revolving doors catch you and throw you into the reception and there is no exit!
You really ended straight in the deep end with no waterwings. People on here will help aas much as possible but advise you to get in touch with your local beekeeping association or a local lunatic err, I mean fellow beekeeper who I'm sure will be glad to advise, help with a quick oxalic treatment and coach you through the beginning of your new passtime.
Welcome!

If they have truly been neglected and are very heavy, I would leave them be untreated, untouched until spring and you have found out what you have let yourself in for. Then get a another bee keeper to help you.

As said the best thing you can do is to ring your local association and see if someone can mentor you. Most associations run courses for new beekeepers which would be a good start as there's lots to learn!

When the Spring comes you might find yourself overwhelmed when they become active - they could be ferocious and need skilled handling.

Have you got any gear? Bee suit, smoker etc.?

Better that the bees face south-ish than north-ish.
But as long as Spring early morning sun will hit the hives (and they have mesh floors, the "facing south' thing is less important than it once was.
It may help them realise they have a new home location (GPS reset) if you face the hive in a different direction to the 'heading' it had at the old site.
The leafy covering is standard magic, but not usually needed in winter. But it has been mild ...

Are the hive floors mesh? (A mirror can help you see underneath)
If so, in this weather, they can stay shut in for a while.

Get them to their final position and orientation before releasing them.
They need to be sufficiently far apart that you can dismantle one for inspection without bumping the other.
If the two hives look very similar, it wouldn't do any harm to put some coloured something (blue is good for the bees bizarre visual capabilities) on one hive, or to 'point' them in different directions - so that the bees can easily tell which one is their particular home. Accidentally going next door can cause trouble!

Do the hives have mouseguards on? (Commonest mouseguards look like perforated galvanised strips over the entrance)
Do you have green woodpeckers locally? If so you should be preparing some protection.

Have you signed up for a course of beekeeping lessons and joined your chosen local Association?

Have you inherited any other equipment? (You NEED some spare stuff, really - not just for retail therapy, you NEED some - and this is a good time to get stuff in the sales.)

Do you know for sure what hive type they are? A photo would allow confirmation of what you have. And knowing what you have is vital before buying any extras.
Its best not to go poking around inside (or otherwise disturbing the bees) if it can be avoided at this time of the year.

OK, enough there for a start!

Last edited:
Well, yup ........ Deep end indeed !!!!!
Ok, so tomorrow I will photograph them, arrange them facing south'ish, but slightly different directions, and open the entrances on Sunday morning.
I shall find a local beekeeper to come and look them over and see if there is a local club I can join, perhaps using this an opportunity to get my teenage son involved.
I will purchase some OA and trickle this in, but perhaps leave a full-on inspection and heft to someone who knows the ropes.
I know that this is a multifaceted and skilled pastime which will take time to learn, but the alternative was that the hives would've been destroyed and burnt at the orders of the estate landlord - I figure I made the correct decision.
Thanks for all the advice, hitting the ground running (from bees)!
Amblik

I loved this... adjust their GPS to the new location... great way of putting it.

I would suggest that you join a beekeeping group and ask for a mentor to help, as there will be a lot to lrean. I hope u enjoy the hobby as my missis says they are amazing. sofar in your fist post you have done the right things.

''and guide you through the first 6 months''

I would go as far to say a min of 12 months to get a whole season under your belt, 18 would be better tho.

Good luck

Ok, so tomorrow I will photograph them, arrange them facing south'ish, but slightly different directions, and open the entrances on Sunday morning.
I shall find a local beekeeper to come and look them over and see if there is a local club I can join, perhaps using this an opportunity to get my teenage son involved.
I will purchase some OA and trickle this in, but perhaps leave a full-on inspection and heft to someone who knows the ropes.

Amblik

When you open the entrances put a load of twiggy branches accross the entrances so they have to find their way out through them (this will help them re- orientate)
Unless you get someone to help you with the oxalic trickling (using ready mixed made for bees oxalic syrup bought fresh) I'd leave the oxalic and concentrate on peparing for your first season.

Yes, a local mentor would be invaluable as there will be much to do from late winter.
Welcome to "Hotel California" by the way :D

Good luck - they really don't need much attention until March +, and opening to look would cause more harm than good, so well done for avoiding the temptation!!

Every few weeks you could 'heft' them - lift slightly- and check they are still heavy...and if worried feed them with bee fondant (from a major supplier or bakery).

Otherwise, I hope all goes well, I fell in the deep end too - and it can be daunting, and you will get 10 different answers to every question. Pick someone who makes sense and stick with them, and the search button is great too...;) Have fun in the mad-house.

:welcome:
No need for coffee machine forum any more, 1. you won't get time (to busy here), 2. no need for coffee to keep you awake your bees will give you enough sleepless nights.
As previous posts you are so far doing the right thing just enjoy the experience

Welcome to the Mad House, and dont be afraid to ask any questions, if some of the answer are harsh, just remember all the poster is doing is trying to protect the bees not get at you

I'm in Wilts and a member of a club. pm me with your details if I can help at all

Latest posts

Back