Lost two colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Went to check my hives today for stores. Looked like all hives were flying. Took straps off to heft them. All very light. Two colonies dead due to not enough bees. They were being robbed out by the others.

So sorry... maybe queenless. Build up rest and maybe do a couple of splits... IF you want to increase again.

Bad luck. I have lost a couple of weak ones. Yes, they shouldn't have gone into winter weak, but circumstances prevented timely action.

They were quite strong going into winter but seem to have dwindled out. I now have 6 spare hives to fill so will get them sorted ASAP

Last edited:
The others are very strong looking so there is hope yet.

They were quite strong going into winter but seem to have dwindled out. ...

Which sounds like some Nosema tests might be called for.
The spores stay viable for 6 months, so the dead bees can be tested, for info.
But its the other hives that need the testing now. (Especially given the robbing.)

Got some acetic acid for fumigating the hives before reuse?

Just had word from Redwood that one of mine didn't make it. I half expected it really, may even have expired before I left. Late emergency queen last year. I'd bought a new queen for it but the emergency queen had emerged by the time she arrived (probably a sealed QC there that I'd missed when I thought they were all open) so this one is now in a nuc. it's nice somehow to get the news second hand - bit of a downer when you're the one raising the crown board to find they've gone

Latest posts

Back