look to IMPORTED queens for honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A random survey of native Irish bee carried out some years ago using DNA has proved that there exists in Ireland dirrerent strains of Dark European Bee, which may not be closely related to each other. We hope to be able to identify these strains and also to assess the degree of hybridisation with other foreign races that is present in our native bee populations. We may also use DNA techniques to further confirm the results at a later stage." Galtee Bee Breeding Group, Cahir Co Tipperary.

It has merely been loosely suggested that some of these strains are resistant to Varroa in a natural balance by internal balance control of the bee, Suggestions in the effect that local bees are quicker to establish an infestion and to rid themselves of the mite. Now I am not a Doctor of sicence just a humble bee keeper I can only explain in my own words what may or may not be through reading and attending bee discussions. I could be wrong but I may also be right.

Kind regards

Busy Bee

Thanks Busy Bee, did not think we had four pure species of black bee in this country, can we import from Ireland, would that be any different than say France.We could be importing some disease only found in Ireland.

Latest posts

Back